betta won't eat

fishnewbie

Medium Fish
Jul 2, 2007
Got my new betta Friday*thumbsup2 . I waited 24 hours to feed him just like I read you should do. I bought him the pellets and freeze dried bloodworms, each time I tried to give him a pellet or bloodworm he would suck it down for a second and the spit it out! After he spit it out he wouldn't have anything else to do with it. What should I do?

Justin

Apr 3, 2007
Knoxville Area
Bettas have bee known to not eat for up to 2 weeks after being moved into a new home. One thing you can do is ask the fish store you bought him from what they feed their bettas. It may be that the pellet food is too big or bigger than your betta is used to. Try Atison's Betta Pro, with the Pink lid. If you're unable to get him to eat after a week, you may need to try live food to stimulate his appetite. Black worms are perfect for this. Where do you live? If you can't find the Atison's Betta Pro I'll ship you a good sized scoop.:)

fishnewbie

Medium Fish
Jul 2, 2007
He is in a 30g tank. The pellets I am using now are by Top fin. I am sure he is still trying to get use to all the room he has now. There is a big difference from a tiny cup to where he is now. I'll just be patient and see how it goes. Thanks for the advice!

Justin

Jul 19, 2007
clemson,sc
i wouldnt worry too much about him, he has already taken the food int his mouth, perhaps it wasnt soft enough or too big and he spit it out..he shows interest and perhaps some live food or movement of your current food will stimulate him to hunt in the few day to follow

hes a lucky fish to have a 30gal tank!