betta?

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
The Betta will do fine in a 1G tank. I myself prefer to give him more room. Also Betta's breath from the air so you need to make sure that there is an opening in the lid. The air pump wont be neccessary.

Shaunna

Large Fish
Oct 6, 2005
Ohio
Yes, that will be fine for a betta! Good for you for not just throwing it ina vase, not that those aren't fine, but most people do not care for them properly while in there. Will you be taking care of it or your sister?

Shaunna

Large Fish
Oct 6, 2005
Ohio
Well, as long as there is someone to make sure everything is going fine and to teach her the ropes, I think it is an excellent way for her to learn about responsiblity and compassion for others. 1 gallon would be perfect for her. I do not know if you would be interested, but I saw the cutest little princess tank on ebay!!! I wanted to get it for my daughter's room but my husband convinced me to wait until she could help me with it. I think that was his way of guaranteeing that the house wouldn't be overrun by tanks for at least another 4 years!!! ;) Anyway, I think it is a little bit more than a 1 gallon, but if she is into that sort of thing it may make it all the more attractive to her. It had a little castle and everything, man it was precious! Ok, I really need to stop talking about it..... :D Post some pics when you get it up and going!

Mar 3, 2006
columbus, Tx
I love my betta. In my personal experience, they're almost like a dog or a cat, they really interact with you when you walk in a room! I've known a lot of people who do the "vase with the plant" thing, (like my grandma) and hers died. Later I found out it was probably because he couldnt get any air because of the plant. My betta is in a 1 gal tank with a air pump that comes with it, then I have 3 female betta that are in a 2.5 gal tank. I change the water about 50% once a week.

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
Shaunna said:
I wanted to get it for my daughter's room but my husband convinced me to wait until she could help me with it. I think that was his way of guaranteeing that the house wouldn't be overrun by tanks for at least another 4 years!!! ;)
Don't let him fool you! LOL I got my niece a 5g mini bow and all the decor/gravel/equipment, and a couple little goldies (were supposed to go in the pond when they got bigger and be replaced, cheap fun way to keep the kid happy and fill my mom's pond LOL) for her 2nd birthday! She woulden't go to bed at night without saying "PINK mommy!" (it made the wall pink and had a pink glow from the hood). It was VERY GIRLY and would have been awesome for a betta! Actually I have pics! (crappy ones, I was running out the door and snapped a few on the way) So you don't have to wait THAT long, my niece helped feed them and everything at bearly 2! :D (Blame it on me when huby rolls his eyes, LOL!)

Last edited:

pigs_fly

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2006
Texas
go_dawgs, you are too cool, im sure your little sister will be thrilled that you are helping her with this, i know i always was when my big brother would help me ;)

That princess tank is too cute!!

virgo, i love that setup for a little girl, the mermaid inside the "clam" adds that extra "ooooo-ahhhhhh", haha.

Oh, and lostnconfused is totally right. Bettas are just like a dog - personality, personality, personality!! mine gets all perky and excited when i come in, especially if im shaking his food ;)

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
hummm all my webshots pics are doing this, I'll try to fix these too!

Working again?

Dangit! They did it again! I need to transfer all my pics and ditch webshots!

Just right click and hit properties and copy/paste into your address bar to see the pics if they don't come up I guess. Sorry for the inconvenience. :mad: Stupid Webshots!

Last edited:

pigs_fly

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2006
Texas
virgo, they are still working for me...does everyone have pc's? or does anyone have a mac or somethign that runs off something besides windows? cause that could be the issue. i have a dell, so it runs off of windows xp, but you have a mac or a linux or something like that, the formating may not transfer....