betta

May 9, 2010
i have a betta had hime for 6 months, now.. needed to know what to do for him in the winter months. he is in a small aquirum that has a light on top and no heater, not to sure what u call it. 3. liter of water, not to big.. (will hold 2 1/2 gallons of water)
but the house gets what 10 degrees cooler in water does that hurt the betta? does he have to be warm? the light on top is what he has for heat. let me know how to keep him for winter.. thank u..

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Bettas need filtered, heated tanks, just like any other fish. Hydor sells a mini 7.5 watt heater that is perfect for small tanks. Please go out and buy your betta a heater for his tank. They are tropical fish and like the temperature around 80F. Anything cooler than 78F and they will become stressed and listless.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
i agree to what's been said. a hydor mini is better than nothing for your tank. also 3 liters is likely around 1 gallon?
if you want to keep something in a small bowl/tank with no heater and only the light for heat, then try FW shrimp. cherry shrimp being the simplest to care for.

Meleemaker

Medium Fish
Nov 17, 2010
Pierre SD
When you decide to put him in a bigger tank(look around for garage sales or craigslist for second hand set-ups that include a lot of supplies) not only will the fish be a lot happier but you will also be a lot happier because you can actually watch him swim around.

But if you cant get a heater for whatever reason, make sure you keep the bowl closed. Betta are labrynth fish, they breathe air which is why they always swim up to the surface to take a gulp. When the air it too cold, it destroys the labrythn which opens your betta up to a whole serious of internal diseases.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
petstores are usually not a good source of information. actual hobbyists can provide more sensible info on your fish.
then get a bigger tank and use a heater lol. remember you should cycle a new tank when you get it before placing your beta in it. you cant just make the transfer right away. you may run into problems if you do.