bettas and neon tetras?

Mar 30, 2005
quebec, canada
Wow am i stumped on what to put into my tank i have a 10 gallon tank and want color and life put into it asap. I currently have a betta in a fish bowl suited for bettas and he is doing just fine but i never thought that a betta could be put in with neon tetras...is this even true? if so does the sex of the betta matter? and how would one distinguish the difference between a male and female betta? also how long would i have to let my filter run in my tank before adding any fish?
thanks,
fish illiterate

Jadenblack

Large Fish
Mar 14, 2005
Vacaville, CA
www.gotpitbull.com
http://bettas.fishjunkies.com/tankmates.php

Tankmates for Bettas

The first thing to consider is your tank space. Never overstock, and never try to house fish in a tank they'd be miserable in. If a fish is happier in schools, obviously you would not want to condem it to a little 2 gallon tank.

The second thing to keep in mind is that some fish that don't get along well together due to temperment. For bettas, you don't want certain types of fish as tankmates: bettas are fiercely aggressive with each other, but are sometimes even timid in a community tank. Fin nipping fish like some barbs or some tetras will bite their long, flowing finnage. Others like cherry barbs are suitable, though.

Another thing sometimes overlooked that you should consider when looking for tankmates is the type of water that each fish requires. You should do some research on the species of fish in question to find out its specific needs, then see if they match up. This is very important to the longterm health of your fish!

That being said, here are some types of fish that would be suitable with a betta:

- white cloud minnow
- tetras
- danios
- angelfish
- livebearers *except mollies, which benefit from brackish water
I also don't know that I'd put a betta in with fancy guppies, as it might confuse them with another betta.
- rasboras

As far as tankmate bottom feeders go, plecos, loaches or catfish are suitable. Corydoras (cory cats) are a common favorite. I enjoy Khuli loaches, although they are sometimes hard to care for. There's also a black Khuli loach, by the way.

The bottom line is that the best tankmate depends on the temperment of your betta. It may get along fine with one type fish, but another person's won't. Keep an eye on tankmates and be prepared to seperate if there are trouble signs (fish who are injured, stressed, hiding, chasing or harassing, etc).

If you're playing with dangerous combinations you may think things appear fine, but one day you may wake up to a nasty surprise such as dead tankmates. "Everything was just fine, until he started attacking." Some combinations just weren't meant to be! Respect that even if things appear fine at first, and as always, just keep an eye out for troubles with your tankmates.

Don't get me wrong - I don't mean to scare you away from tankmates. Bettas can be just fine as community fish. You just have to remember a few guidelines to make it successful for both you and the fish. Good luck with it!

Mar 30, 2005
quebec, canada
bettas and neon tetras

im hoping things will go will with the neons, the betta i have now is a male (i know this thanks to the pix) and its a bright red accented with neon blue hes seems calm, but then again he is alone!! i want to get a second betta to add with the neons, but does color matter to the bettas? for example would a red betta be fine with a red tankmate? In a 10 gallon with a betta how many neons would fit, and would i be able to add them at the same time, if not which one should i add first?