Betta's and water current

Aug 5, 2004
houston, texas
Visit site
I just put in a penguin 350b filter and it creates quit a surface and mid tank current. My betta fish started swimming frantically when I turned the filter on as if it could not swim in the current. There is very little current on the sides of the tank and very little at the bottom. I took the betta out for now, but want to put it back in. Will the betta fish eventually find its comfort zone in the tank, or will the betta not survive in the current.

thanks

revfred

Superstar Fish
Jun 21, 2003
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I've found that they will find a "comfort zone" out of necessity ... but it appears they are not very comfortable there. According to a local SE Asian Betta Breeder, they will adapt but are stressed. Less current the better ... none being optimum. Some of the current can be dampened by either lowering the flow rate and/or dampening the current with lots of floating weeds. In the smaller tanks I use sponge filters and plants ... they like to nestle among and on top of the weeds.

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Like revfred said... he might find a 'hiding' spot from the current, but will be unhappy not being able to move around and dominate the tank.

Betta's are 'top' level fish, thats their primary territory for feeding and building bubble nests.

I would keep him in his own, slow-filtered tank if you can manage it. 5 gallons are pretty cheap used.