bettas & female gourmais

Jennifer

Large Fish
May 11, 2006
Guelph, ON
I know male bettas and male gouramis don't necessarily get along but what about female gouramis and male bettas?

My male gouarmi recently died and I have a tank left with several female gouramis. I don't think I will buy another male gourami, so I was thinking of moving my male betta from my other tank so he would have more room (after I make sure my other tank is healthy, of couse).

Would this work or would they still be aggressive towards eachother? My betta is fairly calm. I haven't actually seen him flare. Right now he is in with tetras and cories.

Thanks.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
What kind of gouramis? You could always try it and see... check out his (and their) reaction while he's floating. If it looks really questionable, just don't add him.

Jennifer

Large Fish
May 11, 2006
Guelph, ON
I have two female red flame dwarf gouramis. They are very docile, so its probably dependent on the male's reaction. I'll give it a shot... I hope it works out because I know he would love to have more space to swim in. He's very curious.

Sep 11, 2005
Philadelphia
www.myspace.com
With male bettas, I exercise extreme caution with all community applications.

With females bettas, I exercise medium caution.

I have in my 20g a female blue gourami and a female betta. At first the gourami harrassed the betta so much she hid behind rocks for almost a month. Then she started coming out as the gourami began leaving her alone.

Now it seems almost like they're strangely friends.

What do I mean by this? Well, that gourami chases almost everyone around once in a while - except the betta! And even more strange, everytime one of the other fish harass the betta, the gourami chases them away. I kid you not.