Bettas in a 1 Gallon Jar, ok? or no?

I have a few one gallon jars laying around, the kind that you can get pickles and stuff in at like Sams Club, and was wondering if I could keep my bettas in them. If so what is the best kind of gravel to put in it and I would like to put a live plant in with each. What plant would be best? Do I need to have an air pump running, even if I have live plants? How often would I need to change all the water?

And lastly does it not bother the betta to have to move ever time you clean its tank/jar?

Quagaar

Medium Fish
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
www.aquatic-hobbyist.com
I gallon is too small for any fish. Please reconsider. 5 gallons is the minimum I would reccomend to anybody thinking about a betta. Heres an article I wrote about setting up a tank for a betta.
http://www.aquatic-hobbyist.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5
One gallon of water will be almost impossible to manage the quality. The temp will swing wildly and there just isnt enough room for the bare essentials of keeping a fish. Dont do it, get a small 5 gallon tank, filter, heater and plants, any betta you get will thank you.

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Jars are for temporary (juvies) conditions only. My 1 gal tanks are just for a few weeks MAXIMUM, with no rocks, 50% water changes every 3 days, and yes it bothers them but it is necessary.

There are TONS of 5 and 10gal tanks sitting around in your neighbors garages, bargain finder magazines and other fish keeper homes waiting for a new owner. If you have the space, get a nice tank or I suggest you skip a betta for now.

Give your jars to a breeder. They are NO fun to keep fish in, trust me!

Mar 11, 2003
I think your one gallon should be fine if you will be able to:

Keep the jar in warmer room (75-78*F)
Not over crowd the jar
Perform complete water changes once a week or more

I have kept bettas in 1 gallons before just fine, but I suggest to anyone keeping bettas as long term pets (my breeders rotate to the one gallons during conditioning) to get a bigger tank. 2.5 gallons are perfect sizes, of course bigger being better. In the 2.5 gallon+ range you can get heaters and plant it more.

The best plant would be java moss as it grows well in low light and grows fast.

Alexa

Oct 26, 2003
Toronto Canada
Visit site
I agree that bigger is better. And the most humane thing to do is put a betta in a 5gal. It will SURVIVE in a gallon bowl if the temp is reasonably constant, and water changes are done every three days. But, if you can afford it, putting your little homie in a proper tank would be kinder.

Just be careful if you use a hang on back filter- my ex lost a very nice male I gave her to an aquaclea intake. Poor sucker's tail got sucked in there and he couldn't get out to breathe. So a corner filter might be a good move- albeit kinda high current. Dont forget that a Betta doesn't need a filter either. If you change the water 2x a week its going to be fine. Bettas cant handle current. Especially the ones with long fins. Still easy to keep. Second only to the Danio.