Binky the Bully - Angelfish Experts needed

Doomhed

Large Fish
Feb 11, 2003
Rhode Island
Visit site
My current Centerpiece fish..."Binky" the (possibly male) angelfish is quite the tank bully. He has been attempting to pick on the loaches and the otocinclus cats at every chance.

4 of my 5 otos are big enough to get away but I am afraid for the smaller one. He has been hiding on the driftwood so Binky hasn't noticed him but he is definitely in danger if he does. The loaches are busy hiding from him most of the time and I worry they might starve due to his attentions.

The minnows I have don't tank any gruff from Binky, chasing him any time he ticks them off. They pretty much bully him and each other and are likely to be replaced. Is Binky's attitude because the minnows are being jerks?

Also, as Binky's top fin grows, it is growing crooked, bent to one side. Should I worry about this? I mean, he is an aggressive Cichlid so his behavior might be expected, but could it be because he is in some kind of pain from his screwed up fin? He moves plenty fast zipping around the tank trying to eat the loaches (although they are WAY faster).

Again, I have had adult angels and never notices these issues, although my pair was full adults when I got them, I raised one batch of fry to 1 inches each and sold the adults and fry (kind of a "been there done that kinda thing").

Is it terrible 2's, normal behavior, what?

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
some angels are just mean, I don't think that he is in any kind of pain, but i might take this post to the cichlid forum (angels = not my thing). I did angels in a community tank for a while, but i had a mean one that ate everyone else.

Try feeding with both a sinking and a floating food, put the floating food in first for Binky, then feed in another place in the tank the sinking food for everyone else.