bio spira problems...

Mar 3, 2006
columbus, Tx
Ok, I've never used bio spira before, but I finaly found a store who had it. When I bought it, I took it home and used it immediately (last night around 10 pm) This morning, I ran a test, and ammonia levels are around the same since yesterday, and nitrite and nitrate levels are 0. Does the biospira produce results that quickly, or do I need to wait another day? The package said "overnight" The package also did not say to refrigerate... do you think maybe the store didnt refrigerate it, and thats what the problem is? The guy got it for me from behind a counter, so i dont know if it was refrigerated or not...

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Bio-Spira doesn't work too well if you already have a half-done cycle (measurable ammonia and nitrites). It probably will work to some extent, but won't be as "instant" as if you had done a large water change before adding it or added it before you added fish.

Oct 31, 2004
Chicago
Visit site
Bio-Spira is made for a "new" tank. It won't really change anything on a tank that's already in the cycle process. I believe it has helped a few people in your situation, but not the majority.

Also, it must be refridgerated or all of the bacteria will die. If it was warm when you bought it, the bacteria are dead. I would take it back to the store and get my money back.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Biospira will still help a tank thats cycling...just that it wont be as 'magical' because its designed to be used initially when setting a tank up.

I agree that if it wasn't refrigerated at the store then it probably wont do any good whatsoever. The store should be informed of that and maybe suggest that they get with the manufacturer on that.

Mar 3, 2006
columbus, Tx
the package was not warm, it was cool, but it really wasnt like "chilled". But, even with no nitrates or nitrites, do you still think it wont work at all since its "cycling" even if it was refrigerated? I hope I explained that right...lol, i've added more to the 10 gal because i thought it would be ok since i had the biospira. But, I did order some off of fishstoretn that should be here next week sometime, so I can try again if that other stuff was no good. I've heard good stuff about that store on here...

Apr 6, 2006
What if you already have fish in the tank? Is it safe?
Yes. Perfectly safe. Quotes from the Marineland's website...
http://www.marineland.com/products/mllabs/ML_biospira.asp

" For new aquariums, first condition water with BIO-Safe™. Adjust aquarium water temperature. Add BIO-Spira™ and BIO-Coat™ along with fish. See your retailer for advice on the number of fish appropriate the size of your aquarium. BIO-Spira may also be added with each water change, when adding additional fish, and established aquaria that are experiencing water quality problems due to disruption of the bio-filter."

So according to Marineland, not only can you add Biospira to a new tank before adding fish, you can add it to an existing aquarium that is having problems or changes.

Also from the site....

" BIO-Spira is a "live" bacteria culture that is sold refrigerated and must be kept refrigerated until used."

So if your Biospira was not refrigerated, it prolly is no good...:(

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
Yeah..what Uncle said...

however, if your tank is cycled, I wouldnt add biospira cause its just a waste of money.

I think Marineland wont sell biospira to retailers unless they can provide proof that they can refrigerate it?

jobeak

Medium Fish
Mar 13, 2006
Sligo, Ireland
I was on a site that sells Bio Spira last night and they will not ship it without a cool pack. They even avoid shipping it after Wednesday, just in case it got caught up somewhere over the weekend, unless you use a 24 hour delivery service. I think you should bring it back to the store and inform them that they should be refrigerating it at all times. You should even put it in the fridge when you get it home, as the temp may have raised during the trip from the store to your house. Would you buy a carton of milk that wasn't in the fridge? I think not.

Jobeak.

Jan 29, 2006
bradford,NH
i adden bio spira to my old 20 gal because it hadnt cycled after 2 months, it did nothing. i dont know if i had a bad batch but my ammonia was at .5 and it just didnt help. i ended up ditching the tank.....