Bio-Spira question(s)

FreshwaterJeff

Superstar Fish
Mar 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
So...it turns out the new LFS I found carries Bio-Spira, and in a rare moment of impatience, I bought some.

I do have some general questions, though, for those who have used it (or who know about it):

1. I started a fishless cycle, so there's ammonia in my tank (haven't tested yet today, but am guessing it's around 2-3 ppm).
a. Were I going to add the Bio-Spira now, would that be ok? (I assume so, since these are the same bacteria I'm hoping to cultivate by using the ammonia.)
b. Were I going to add the Bio-Spira now, would I need to continue adding ammonia to feed them until I'm able to buy fish - likely on Saturday? (I'm guessing yes.)

2. Since I don't have any fish yet, will the Bio-Spira be ok in my fridge until Saturday?

3. If I'm going to wait to add the Bio-Spira, should I continue fishless cycling for the next two days, or is there not much point? (Note: I bought a piece of driftwood out of a tank at the LFS for seeding purposes, so perhaps continuing to add ammonia will keep these bacteria alive if nothing else). Or, should I stop cycling because I don't want there to be any ammonia content in the water when I add the fish Saturday night, and what's already in there might feed the bacteria on the driftwood until then (but even if it won't, I should still stop to make sure there's no ammonia when I add fish)?

VirgoWolf

Superstar Fish
Feb 16, 2006
Michigan
Throw it in your fridge and use it when you get the fish, it'll be good as long as it's kept in the fridge. I would stop doing anything to the tank simply because you won't need anything additional after the bio spira. It was cold when you got it right?

Jun 15, 2006
Jeff I'm not sure about your questions but when I used bio spira about a month ago I remember them telling me to either use it right away or just put it in the fridge. It should be fine in the fridge since thats the same as it being at the store in the fridge. Good luck , what type of fish are you getting?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Bio Spira works better without being used with a fishless cycle. Before you go get your fish, do a water change to remove the ammonia in there, then add the fish and Bio Spira. Don't add any more ammonia to your tank if you're going to use the Bio Spira.

FreshwaterJeff

Superstar Fish
Mar 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
Pure - No, it didn't. I was surprised/disappointed - though it was shipped ground, so the heat could have killed it. That, or maybe I screwed something up (but I'm not sure how that could have happened).

Lotus - Thanks. I had started to think doing a big water change was probably a good idea, but your confirmation helps a lot.

Eli, see the thread linked in my signature for my stocking plan ;)

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Well crap man that is a bummer!! I was hoping it would work. When I used it I had already cycled the tank bare bottom, as I didn't know what I was going to use. Yeah I was a newb who didn't know that there was actually useful information on the net about such things.

FreshwaterJeff

Superstar Fish
Mar 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
Hey man, live and learn. If that's the worst thing that happens to me with this tank, I'll be one happy dude.

Check out the new layout on my tank journal and let me know what you think...I'm anxious for the Hygro, Rotala, and Water Sprite to start growing in.