BIO-SPIRA!!!!

aceracer

Large Fish
Sep 21, 2005
OK guys I want to talk about bio-spira and all of the other product that they make the bio-safer and the bio-cloat and of course the bio-spira... Im making a new 55 gallon tank and after you use the bios- safe or what ever water treament when do you add the bio-spira? do you start with the tradtional add amonia ( fishless cyle) and wait for a bit then add the bio- spira.. or do you just simpy treat the water then add the bio-spira and wait? this seems like a really good product and I dont really want to wait weeks or months if i have to. so if you could explain how this work and when and how.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net

aceracer

Large Fish
Sep 21, 2005
yes i understand what the tank undergoes and how it makes bacteria witch eats ammonia and converts to nitrites and such .. so this you would add right when you add the fish or to be safe a day or so before.... to make sure that it is working could you add the amonia and see if it converts ammonia to the other water tank elemets? and yes i am reading the site im just want your guys words on it about if it actually works.. have you used it and then the same or next put the whole stock of fish in?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I personally haven't used it, I always fishless cycle with ammonia.

For best results, you should add the fish within 24 hours of adding the Bio-Spira, but at the same time works, too. Don't go adding ammonia, it only messes things up.

rhoymand

Large Fish
Jul 15, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I used cycle by nutrafin and followed the standard fishless cycling process using clear ammonia for my new 55 gal. I just figured having extra biological bacteria during fishless cycling would make it much faster... and it did. I had a pretty much cycled tank in 2 weeks. still waited a month and a few water changes until I added fish though. Im paranoid like and careful like that.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I believe the problem is the amount of ammonia people have used. It has been engineered to work on a typical fish load, whereas the fishless cycle overdoes it a little, I believe. So, if you add a bunch of ammonia at once, it isn't the same as fish releasing small amounts over time.

aceracer

Large Fish
Sep 21, 2005
oh ok that makes sense ... but wouldnt that make the bacteria stronger ? i mean the feed it more so it grows and multiply.. anyways that tank i was talking about the sea clear it is asposed to air up the water through its cleaning prcess... do you think that I should get a power head or is there a better way to aggitate the water? like say puting a air house on the back of the tank where the filter is so i dont see the air bubles and it does the same thing? because i dont want a ugf and i dont like the look of the big tube where the power head sits

Aug 23, 2005
bellaire, ohio
i just used bio-spira in my 55, i set it up and let the water circulate for 5 days with de-chlor in it. from most sites i read up on concerning bio-spira was the best way is to just add the bio-spira and add your fish right then. no ammonia or anything. so far my tank looks great and my fish seem very happy and healthy. you can call the fishstoretn.com, they ship bio-spira via ups, they can answer all of your questions you cant find answers to on google.

Sep 10, 2004
Texas
Visit site
I guess you are building a "freshwater" tank? I used biozyme which says to add to water for seven consecutive days before putting any fish in the tank. However, my brother was in town the day I started the 20 gallon tank and he said it was okay to add the fish the same day, so I did. I also followed the instructions for biozyme. None of the fish died. Believe it or not! Good luck. :)

PS My brother has been doing this for years. He has always defied the fish keeping rules. ;)