Bio Spira....

Dec 25, 2006
Hi, I currently have a 55 gallon tank set up. I purchased 3 bio spira bags from a LFS, they said they had this for 2 months and it was refridgerated. I have not yet put these in my tank yet. I am just wondering if there were any suggestions if these bacterias were dead and I had a load of fish. And Also, when I put the Bio Spira in, should I wait a day and put in the stock of fish? Also how many fish will do for a 55 gallon to feed the bio spira?

Thanks

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
I've never used it myself, but here is what I know about it. It needs to be added to a tank that has no ammonia in it. The ammonia level needs to be at 0, otherwise it will kill the bacteria. It goes bad if it isn't refridgerated (I hope you've kept it in the fridge since you brought it home), if it isn't, it will be useless as all the good bacteria will be dead. It is best if added to a new tank with treated water, you add the biospira, then the fish. It's supposed to be an "instant cycle" but you still need to monitor water params.

'-JIN-'

Large Fish
Mar 21, 2006
Penang,Malaysia
Bio Spira really works,it is a kind of instant bacteria for your tank.Put it for about aday,then is time for u to add your fish.Like Miss Fishy said,they must be keep in refrigerator if not been used.if you take it out,make sure you put it in when it is cold(very cold)i put mine when it is still a ice.The fish wont eat them i guest,they are so small that they are no where to be seen.There is no need to feed them,they will eat dead plants and the fish faeces(thats what other bacteria do,im not sure about bio-spira).They will live for very long term and reproduce.And arh rememba dont make too much WC about -10%-15% daily for your new tank for a more safety precaution.Then if your tank is stable,then u can make it to 30%-40% WC a week.This is what i do when i set up a tank for my friend and myself,and it all worked well or to say perfectly.Ive use this method and in three days im able to add shrimp in without any problem.hehehe,give it a try...........

Eli2Shockey

Medium Fish
Jun 15, 2006
I used biospira for my 10g tank. It was my first tank i started myself (my 55g is from someone else so was never cycled by me). The LFS told me to put it in the tank and add the fish right after. I did that and put in 8 fish. They are all alive 7 months later except one 'bottom feeder' fish i lost that night. I'm not even sure what type of fish it was that i lost to be honest. Seems like it worked for me.