Biocube vs. Standard tank

sweetpickles7

Superstar Fish
Feb 13, 2007
Central Illinois
Well after a year out of the game, the hobby has drawn me back. I decided it was a good idea to take down all my tanks upon entering college, but i feel like it was a mistake now. The reason im back is because i want to know if anyone has personal experiences with biocubes? ive done alot of research lately on them and i believe they are the most cost efficient thing for me at the moment. The largest tank size im supposed to have is 5gal in my dorm but i think i can get away with the 8gal. My concern is that in all of my research it seems to me that everyone makes modifications to there biocubes. Id like to not have to make to many modifications to mine if possible, just dont want the headache. So for people who have had them, better to get the biocube or buy everything individually and put it together?
P.S. Where is everybody?!!!!

Jan 12, 2011
I've dealt with the 14 and 29 biocube, and now have a standard 90. I would never go back to the biocubes. All the equipment for them is double the cost and half as rare if you'd like to buy used. With lighting and overflow options you're extremely limited. While the tank says 8 gallons, it really isn't because a large part of that is in the back, so you can't have an 8 gallon fish, you'd probably be at 6 gallons.