Biological Filtration

Feb 28, 2005
Waterford, CA
Ok I feel like I am just making a lot of post and being a pest but everyone here is really hlping me out. Ever sence I started my salt water tank i have hear the term Biological Filtration. I still do not really know what it means, is it the bacteria in your filter? and if you clean your filter all at the same time is this why your ph goes down?? Can any one try and explaine this to me...

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
dont feel like a pest, thats why this place is here

your pH shouldnt go down from changing your filter

biological filtration is basically bacteria which facilitates the waste transformation cycle in your tank...generally, all (or at least most) of the biological filtration in a SW tank is in the live rock

Feb 28, 2005
Waterford, CA
the only problem is it's just so full of crap, I mean there is so much algea and gunk that i don't now how to get red of. I see all these other tanks and they are nice and clean mine is the oposite. how do I get it clean... HELP *crazysmil *crazysmil *crazysmil *crazysmil *crazysmil

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
the bacteria is still in there...you can use a toothbrush to remove the hair algae and then with the new powerheads and consistent cleaning of the filter media we are discussing in the other posts it should not come back much...adding a good cleanup crew will also be essential