Black Algae problem?

PerenGee

Large Fish
Sep 20, 2008
San Diego
First off, hello everyone! My name is Peren and I'm quite new to both this forum and freshwater tanks.

I put together my first tank today but after taking a closer look at it I noticed that there were some small tufts of furry, black patches growing on the tip of some driftwood. I wasn't sure what it was but after some concerned searching online I'm afraid that it might be black algae. Out of fear I took the wood out of the tank and it is now in a bucket of water with a little bit of peroxide. I wanted to know if this sounds like a black algae problem. I'm really not sure at all, especially because all that's in there right now are some amazon broad swords and L. novaezelandiae.

PerenGee

Large Fish
Sep 20, 2008
San Diego
Hi and thanks!

The wood came from a local pet store in their freshwater section of the store. I believe the piece of paper on the wall said it was African drift wood. And no, it was not in water. I found it in a rather large pile of other pieces of drift wood on a big shelf. any thoughts?

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
did you soak it for a few days before adding it to your tank...typically it should be boiled and soaked until all the tannins are out of it.which usually means soaking and changing the water its soaking in until the water doesnt change to a orangish color. i havent boiled mine but i usually soak it in very hot water until the water is clear.

My driftwood does have some dark areas that may look fuzzy under water but its just part of the wood.

PerenGee

Large Fish
Sep 20, 2008
San Diego
I soaked it for a little bit but certainly not for days. It appears that I did not prepare it correctly before placing it in. I'll give it a good couple boils tomorrow and see if that helps at all. Thanks for the heads up, Brian!

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I personally never boil wood. It breaks down the cellulose, which makes it have a shorter life.

I'd say that it's not algae on your wood. It might be some harmless fungus that occasionally comes on driftwood. Soaking for a few days and some light scrubbing with an old toothbrush should remove it. The hydrogen peroxide probably killed it anyway.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Also your tank only being set up for 1 day, isn't old enough for algae to grow on wood that was dry.

Always boil or bake anything that you plan on putting in your tank. If it can't take take that kind of heat. A weak bleach solution dip will do. Just be sure to rinse 4 times more than what you think would be enough. After doing this, a little extra dechlorinator in the tank isn't a bad idea.

PerenGee

Large Fish
Sep 20, 2008
San Diego
Lotus - I managed to scrub off whatever was on it as per your suggestion. It seemed to do the trick just fine.

Pure - Yeah, I figured it was too early for algae to be growing but I just wanted to be safe. Good thing too otherwise the wood would still be in there leaking tannins.

Anyway, I've spent the past few days boiling and soaking so I think all that's left is to keep it up for the next week or so. Thanks for all the help everyone! Also I'd like to say that I've been on several other forums for various things and I have not yet received a welcome that's been as warm or as helpful as yours. Thanks again!