Black Algae

rohnds

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Austin, TX (born NYC)
It seems that my LRs are turning black .. it looks like some kind of algae since the blue legs are eating them.
I have 120W of light. I have cut that down to 80W/day since I saw the black algae. My NH3=0; NO2=0 and NO3=5ppm. I have yellow tang, 3 damsels, 1 clown abd 1 royal gramma, along with 1 shrimp, 1 emerald crab, 100 blue legs.
My Ca=390, and no PO4 since I use RO water. I have my lights turned on for about 10 to 12 hours a day.
I also a couple of soft corals and LPS.

I have diatomic a month ago and is not almost completely one. There are also one or two patches of red, which I believe is cyano algae.

What can be causing black algae.

Rohn

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
It all looks like Cyanobacteria to me from the picks.
One thing with going by your test results of your phos, nitrate etc. when you already have a bloom, is that the cycano is going to be absorbing it very fast and will then be giving you low readings.
I would remove as many peices of LR as possible into a bucket of SW and give them a good rinse removing the cyano. As well any rock that can not be removed I would just turn off all water flow and give them a blast with a turkey baster and then syphon the cyano out. I would then perform 2 big water changes.
And cut back on the lighting and feeding for a week or two.

rohnds

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Austin, TX (born NYC)
I am not worried about cyano bacteria. Matter of fact there is only one or two spots (about 1/4 in) of cyano in the entire tank (70gal loaded with LRs). There are more of the black stuff on every rock. And it is getting ugly.
I am not even sure if that a cyano or coralline

Rohn

rohnds

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Austin, TX (born NYC)
I took your advice and took the rock (matter of it is a large sea shell) that conatined the cyano spot and started cleaning it. I shut off all the light, except for one 40W.

My tanks has being setup since late july.

Rohn

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
okay that make sense then, it's still newly set up. Blooms like this will come and go in the first few months of a new system.

I would also recommend getting a crew of snails like some Cerith and/or nassarius (for the substrate) and some Trochus and/or Astraea (for the LR/glass) and maybe some Turbos as well.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
increase the water flow to those areas also...... will help. Oh and I agree it is probably cyano.....as it is a blue/green algae it can come in any colour......I have had black/green and also red......so it can be any

rohnds

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Austin, TX (born NYC)
I started cleaning the each rock a time. I had success in getting rid of the a ciouple of red spots but I simply cannot get rid of the black algae no matter how much I scrub. It is not like any alage I Know where they simply come off the glass of rock when you sbrush them off with a toothbrush.
The black stuff is only on the rocks and not on the substrate or the glass.

Thanks for the advices,

Rohn