Aug 21, 2006
Hi all,

I want to know if Black balloon Belly mollies are fresh water or saltwater fish

Thanks,

fishylove

fishylove

Small Fish
Aug 21, 2006
i had two white balloon bellies earlier and they mysteriously died...they were fine in the morning and in then evening one of them was sick...transferred him to the hospital tank along...later female molly started showing the same signs...so transferred her to the hospital tank...both of them died few days later (female molly i thought looked fine and didnt expect her to die, she died before the male molly)

we loved the mollies and so bought another pair couple of weeks back...they were doing fine...thought there are no sign of illness..today in the morning female molly was dead...

I was going through old links in myfishtank.net and somebody mentioned that they require marine tank...so i was stumped...i have read everywhere that mollies are freshwater fish

and if they are saltwater fish, i have a problem as i have molly fry too

i had checked my water parameters couple of days back and they were good...infact i did 25% water change on the weekend

Fishylove

Helena21

Superstar Fish
Oct 7, 2005
Essex, England
Mollies are fw fish but they can live in brackish water (not sure if they can live in sw but i dont think they can).
I have no idea why they died, mabye something to do with the ammonia levels? Did you check them?

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Sailfin mollies have been found several miles out to sea. Mollies are essentially fresh to brackish fish -- ime they typically do better with at least some (ocean mix) salt in the water but many will thrive in totally fresh. Some saltwater enthusiasts cycle their tank with mollies instead of damsels (another common fish-in cycle species for sw tanks).

Fishy? could you tell us more about your tank? Size, age, maintanence, stocking level, water parameters.....