Black Crud???

Milo

Large Fish
Jun 29, 2006
Brampton, Ontario
Hey Guys,

i am noticing that on my sand bed there is black "crud" building up. I tried to vacume it out while cleaning the tank but it won't work, i get more sand than anything. Anyone know what this is???? I am thinking that it might be food but am not sure. also, if anyone knows how to get rid of it, or what will get rid of it that would be great!

thanks everyone.

Oh yeah, nice to be on again, only for a little while so i might be a few days to respond.

Thanks

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
if its directed at the sand it will just blow sthe sand away and if the algae comes off it will relocate.

try positioning them so more flow goes over the spot (maybe aoim them at the glass by it or something)

any chnace of a picture of it?

Milo

Large Fish
Jun 29, 2006
Brampton, Ontario
Picture, probably not, because i don't have direct access to the internet anymore its going to be kind of hard. Can you recommend any fish or anything? I am thinking about a sand siffting goby.

To tell you the truth it looks like black mold. I am thinking that maybe some food from the foxface is going to the bottom and he doesn't see it and it just sits there are rots. I look around the tank but i don't see any food around.

Oh. P.S. RIP to the angel fish, she got fin rot and died. melafix my :eek: ss

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
cyano can be any colour from black slime to red slime.......the clue is it is slimy and holds together when you pick it off the sand. If it is powdery it probably isn't cyano. Either way check your params.....nitrates/phosphates......maybe you are just having a diatom bloom....