Black Fungas

Oct 6, 2005
I have a black fungas that won't go away, I have tried bleaching everything to just cleaning and maintaining. Placos and catfish. Is there a fish that eats black fungas entirely or am I in trouble? Could it be the fish the carrier, or the old tank...I took out all the rocks and fake plants, etc. What can I do? Help. Anyone

Jul 30, 2005
Chicago, Illinois
You mean black algae?

I get blackish brown algae all the time, but it always comes off of my decorations when scrubbed.

As for something that eats it, I haven't found anything yet. Did you let everything soak in bleach overnight?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I guess I haven't seen any black...but otto's (otocinclus) love brown algae if thats what you have. Depending on the other fish in the tank etc you might get a couple of them to help you out so you can stop washing everything? Also...just like any other algae if you take away the cause it'll stop...so some algaes are caused by too much light or not enough light, too much of some nutrient in the water...do some research online and see if you can find some things to try?