Black Hairy Algae?

Jul 12, 2009
I have just discovered a black hairy like algae growing on the floor (Sand) of my tank.

Does anyone know what this stuff could be? It's sticky and is attached to the small sand particles and i have rolled a small amount of it up into a ball and removed it from my tank.

Is there anything I can buy that can get rid of this?

Thanks!!

Jul 12, 2009
Please Help!

Does anyone know what this is? This stuff seems to be spreading accross the floor of my tank! I've moved my L/R around to increase the water flow of this point in my tank and also given it less light.

I'm assuming this is some sort of phosphate problem? I'm doing a water change tonight to help correct this.

Does anyone know if this is definately the problem or if It's something else?

Jul 12, 2009
If by Dinoflagellates you are referring to Diatoms en this is not what it is. I have had that before in my tank and this is different. It's like long strands of black hair that are sticking to my sand. Really need a way to get rid of it!

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Jul 12, 2009
Okay I have just removed all the black stuff off the floor again! I am going to do a water change now. We will see how much has grown by tomorrow. I have increased the flow as much as I can in that area but I think I am going to try and buy a powerhead at some point soon. How do I reduce nitrates? I am going to cut my feeding down to once every two days.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
that is a start, a powerhead is essential. Reducing feeding is also necessary as are large water changes to reduce the nitrates. Are you running a protein skimmer? If not you need to ramp up the water changes.