black light

Ryan NY

Small Fish
Sep 10, 2007
i want to put a black light as the light for my tank so at night it will be glow in the dark.
can this hurt my fish?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
It can stress your fish out to only be under blacklight. I would choose to have normal lights and black lights on a tank so that you can maybe choose to have them on part of the time (like when you're around to enjoy the tank).

Ryan NY

Small Fish
Sep 10, 2007
nope. ever see those genetically altered fish that glow? they have blacklights on the tanks at the stores that have em. where in NY are you?
ya if your talking about danios, thats what i want to get and have the black light so they glow. i told my idea to the guy at my local fish store and he said "so you basically want a rave party in a fish tank" LOL that pretty much sums it up

Sep 3, 2007
Southeast USA
It can stress your fish out to only be under blacklight. I would choose to have normal lights and black lights on a tank so that you can maybe choose to have them on part of the time (like when you're around to enjoy the tank).
I'm with FroggyFox here, I'd just have it where you could switch it on for part of the time so the fish didn't get stressed. I have a spare blacklight bulb I can use on my 55 gallon, but I have only used it once. Works fine though...

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
I definitely agree with Froggy, you should get both types of lighting, and use the black light sparingly.

One of the LFS here in Madison sells those "glolight" Danios, it's the only tank in the place that has a black light over it, and I'll admit it...that tanks looks pretty cool, but I'm just not sure what the long term damage would be to the fish, having the only source of light come from a black light.