Black mollies SW

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
I've not tried it, but I have read that many brackish species can be acclimated to full SW. I belive that someone on this board may have done this, but i couldn't tell you who it might have been.

Feb 10, 2006
Bay Area, CA
I've read about it in TFH. The article used these black mollies as cyclers, but if I would keep them because black velvets looks so nice. I've appreciated them more ever since TFH did an issue explaining the fish's history.

Nov 24, 2006
I curently have mollies in my saehorse tank. Which exact breed of mollies i dont know( from walmart) i know i have some sailfin molies and then the others were from the mollie tank labled assorted mollies. I have had good luck with them.

My step by step.

Prepare 5 gallons of fresh SALTWATER.. set aside for 1 day with airstone/heater.

Take another five gallon bucket , but a heavy glass bowl in the bottom of bucket.

Put mollies and store water in glass bowl.

take a piece of airline tubing and fill the bucket withwater from your saltwater tank( make sure you place the tubing outside the glass bowl to allow the temp toslowly adjust.

When bucket is full net out the mollies and put in your tank.

Pour the bucket of store water / tank water into the sewer system.

Add your new saltwater.

Sit in you fish watching chair and ENJOY your new saltwater mollies.

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
Fuzz16 said:
ive heard about F8puffers in SW but not mollies.
Not to hijack this but F8's wouldn't survive in that high of a salinity (or should never be subjected to that IMO), Green Spotted Puffers can, and should - be in full SW salinity as mature adults. F8's are low-end brackish species. I don't know about mollies, tho. Hmm. That would be interesting. Maybe with a very gradual acclimation? I mean - like months of acclimation?

Last edited:
i know guppies and mollies can be acclimated to SW. my LFS had a guppy in a SW tank for a couple months, until the ell ate it. was healthy as far as i could see. i have also heard that mollies gills are more suited to SW. they have also been said to be major algae busters in SW tanks. some people are never successful in raising the salinity with mollies, and others do a 3 hour acclimation to full SW and the mollies do great, and live full ives.

Dadstank

Large Fish
Nov 4, 2006
Minnesota
I used black mollies to start my SW tank and they lived for quite a few months... it seemed odd as hell when the LFS told me I could use them... my words exactly were "um, aren't they FW fish?":confused: the lady said "trust me"*thumbsups so I got some, besides, much cheaper route to cycle:)
I acclimated them the same way you would a SW fish... float for a while and then start swapping water slowly....about 30-45 minutes total time.
They lost when I got 3 yellowtail damsels....
If you don't believe.... just buy a few and give it a go...

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
Certainly can be done. It works for sailfins, and for most all hybrids available and as the gross majority of mollies for sale are hybrids it is not an issue. Mollies, like most livebearers are amazingly flexible, and are found naturally in brackish water, but full sea is no biggy. They actually have some omportant morphological features like the gill rakers that are marine rather than frsh in design, and that is important as the gill rakers are used to control body fluids by excreting urea and water.
They are killer alage eaters, for all the real problem hair algaes. It should takes a day or two to get them up to full strengh SW from FW