Black Molly

Sep 6, 2006
I Just Recently Got A Aqaurium. And I Got A Black Molly. I Dont Know much about It. Does AnyBody Have any Kind Of Information about Them ?

Dipschnit

Small Fish
Sep 12, 2006
Richmond,Va
The males are usually more slender and the females are more round. I have heard that the males also have a modified anal fin.( whatever that means)

Mollies are alot of fun and I think the black ones are the coolest. I had a pair breed but I didnt know thats what they were doing ( my lack of knowledge) and had several little ones swimming around. All of them died except for one , which was all black with one tiny patch of white on her head. She was a very cool looking fish and she did well for 3 years until I had my wife do a water change for me while I was at work and killed everything in the tank except for the Pleco.:mad: Even gave her specific instructions on how to do it. But thats a story that i dont have time or space to write. At least I still had my Pleco(my favorite fish) and have had him for over 5 years now.

Katie217

Superstar Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Florida
males have a gonopodium (modified anal fin) it sorta looks like a pencil tip in a way, it has a small hook on the end to it hookes into the female (mollies are livebearers) males tend to be skinnier too, and females more "plump"

From Elmers Aquarium

General: Poecilia sp. Active and peaceful. Mollies are best kept in tanks that contain some additional salt.

Compatibility: Keep with other small peaceful fish. Does well with tetras, moons, swords, white clouds, small angels. Does well in groups of 3 or more. (1-male, 2 -females) Can also be mixed with active, larger fish such as barbs, gouramis, medium sized angels, sharks, catfish and silver dollars. (Community #2, Community #3, Community #4, Community #5)

Housing: Give them plenty of swimming room and some bushy plants for hiding. The addition of at least one tablespoon of salt per gallon is essential for good health. Mollies like warmth. Maintain a temperature of 78-84 degrees. Many problems can be avoided by proper temperature and salt.

Feeding: Feed standard foods 2 or 3 times a day. Some greens in their diet is important. Some good food choices are: flake food, brine shrimp, spirulina flakes, Tetra Color bits and some live plants.

Size: Reaches full size at 3 months.

Longevity: Average 2 years

Problems: Treatment for most problems should include a partial water change, adjust temperature to 80 degrees, add some salt and treat with Clout or Quick Cure.

Molly Types:

Black Molly Poecilia latipinna Varieties: Black, Gold, Sailfin, Dalmatian

Molly, Sphenops Poecilia spenops 3" 78-84 Active and peaceful , variety of the Black Molly; best purchased in groups, feed small amounts frequently, likes warmth, requires one teaspoon of salt per 5 gallons. Easy to breed. Male has pointed gonopodium fin. Standard Diet, Greens

TLH

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2005
Northants;England
Add a couple of tsp per gallon of salt just to avoid fungus problems.All the Black Mollies I ever had have suffered little white patches at one time or another.A little salt always cleared it up pronto.You can't really overdo it for Mollies either as they have been found out at sea.Their natural habitat is river estuaries so they have a range from fresh to sea water.

sassie

Small Fish
Sep 5, 2006
about the salt and all my fishies!!!

What kind of salt are you talking about puttin in the tank...??
I also have along with my 2 male mollies and one female...--oh, btw, my male dalmation mollie, who was there before the male black molly, has puffed up so big, he's a fatty (lol) now...the lfs woman told me that he is basically protecting his female, which has become his territory!!!LOL
Anyways, I have tetras, a rainbow shark (female--just love her!), Schwartzi Cory (2 of them-awesome fish!) and a maeble hatchet...along with 2 guppies -one male , one female, and that fish that sticks to the wall of the trank..soooo cool!!! Am I forgetting anyone?? I might be!!!!!
Can anyone tell me about the salt?
How to do it? What kind of salt to use? ..and will it be abd for my other fishies??
Thanks all very kindly,
Sassie

Last edited:

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
Sassie,
The salt will not be good for your hatchet or your tetras, at least.
As for your puffy molly, I wouldn't trust what the lfs woman says. It may be sick. Does it act normally, and are its scales sticking out like a pine cone?
Test your water for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate and post up the numbers. This will help us help you determine if your tank is healthy.
Fishyfish,
You must never rely on the fish store person to tell you what you need to know. A lot of them don't know much about fish at all. It's only their job to sell you fish. It's your responsibility to research any fish you are thinking about buying to be sure you can provide a proper home for it. Google is really excellent for this purpose. If you google a fish and can't find any good information about it, then after that you can come here and ask.
If your tank has been set up for less than a couple of months, it is probably still cycling... that is, the water may not yet be completely safe for the fish. If possible, you need to test your water or have it tested for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate every few days. Also, read this http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/fre...eshwater-beginner-stickies-read-me-first.html and you will have a better understanding of your tank and your fishes' health.

TLH

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2005
Northants;England
All good advice from homebunnyj.I didn't realise you had other fish in there but usually all freshwater fish will tolerate a little salt.you could get away with 1tsp of salt to a gallon with no problems I think.Maybe it would be better to use it when you see any fluffy white patches though just to clear them up.

Sea salt is the stuff of choice to use.Apparently aquarium salt is inferior but is what I use cos it's what I have.An absolute no-no is table salt as it contains anti-caking agents which are real bad.

Just so you know I've used upto 4tsp per gallon with my fish for extended periods and even as high as 6 for short times.I have no mollies anymore though and the Guppies I have are more immune to fungus so I don't use any now.Mollies,especially the black variety,just seem to be very susceptible for some reason,probably inbreeding.