black neon tetra ill

merc1500

Medium Fish
Dec 11, 2008
virginia beach virginia
i have a black neon that has something thats white in her mouth region its hard to tell what it is its like a white blob on the top part of her mouth

i have some ap pro quick care that i gtot when i had ick in early decemeber should i use this or do i need some other treatment

thanks

LadyLail

Large Fish
Dec 31, 2008
NC
www.myspace.com
Sounds like mouth fungus. Horrible at treatment names, but you need to treat it quick before it gets too bad or the fish will die b/c of innability to eat (If I remember correctly, you need Grain A tx to get rid of the fungus- starts with an M???).

Someone should post soon with the name of the tx you need to buy. LPS should lead you in the right direction. Ich meds won't work if it is mouth fungus- ich is a parasite.

TMony

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2008
Does the white spot look like cotton?

If so, it could possibly be Columnaris.
Columnaris (cotton mouth) is a bacterial infection and contagious usually progressing faster at warmer temperatures. Need Maracyn (erythromycin) or broad spectrum antibiotics such as Binox.

If you can, it would be best to remove the affected fish right away and put in a hospital tank.

Last edited:

TMony

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2008
It doesn't hurt to have both Pimafix and Melafix on hand for any future issues that may come up with your other fish. (hopefully not)

LadyLail

Large Fish
Dec 31, 2008
NC
www.myspace.com
Does the white spot look like cotton?

If so, it could possibly be Columnaris.
Columnaris (cotton mouth) is a bacterial infection and contagious usually progressing faster at warmer temperatures. Need Maracyn (erythromycin) or broad spectrum antibiotics such as Binox.

If you can, it would be best to remove the affected fish right away and put in a hospital tank.
Maracyn! That's the one! It cleared it up in my tank purty quick. Just remember to take the carbon filter out so that it doesn't absorb all the treatment.

merc1500

Medium Fish
Dec 11, 2008
virginia beach virginia
well the lady gave me fu ba fix by ap pro said 12 drops per 10 gallons bbbbbbbbbut she didnt say how long to treat and the bottle doesnt say much
it says qoute

" for tetras use 12 drops per 10 gallons daily. for use when transporting fish in shipping bags follaw the dosage for tetras. replace carbon 24 hours after last treatment. if if further treatment is required perform a 25% water change before adminsting another treament"

so does that mean do one treatment and if its stiill there do 25% percent water change and treat again thats what i get from it is this correct

thanks

TMony

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2008
I found some info on Fu-Ba Fix that said to treat the water initially and then after 4 days treat it again. Check your water parameters before treatment to make sure everything is where it should be and then begin treatment.
You should do a 50% water change between dosages.

If you don't see any improvement after 8 days, you can treat the water again.

Last edited: