Black Sand

Aug 4, 2008
Is using Black Sand OK as a substrate in a fish tank?

Black sand - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I thought it might work until I discovered that it is magnetic. (A magnet will pick up black sand)

Basically I'm not sure if black sand from rivers, fished out from prospecting is same as the "black sand' beaches you read about.

Punaluu Beach - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyone know if this stuff can be used safely as a substrate?

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
I would say 100% no. From the sound of it there are all sorts of minerals in there, some of which might be rather harmful to fish and inverts.

Colored sand isn't too expensive as long as your not filling a 180 gallon tank and you can pick it up at most LFS's. And it comes in black and is safe to use.

Personally, I'm rather fond of darker substrates. I think it brings out the color of some fish better than lighter substrates do.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
I would have to agree with Orion..I read the wikipedia page on it and I would think it would play hell with your water param's at a minimum...emmanualchavez is a geologist student, he may be able to offer more input.

emmanuelchavez

Superstar Fish
Feb 22, 2008
You'd be safer with a colored sand that's quartz-based.

So, you want to use the Hawai'ian black sand, or the prospecting sand?

Sorry, I'm a bit "blah" right now, I've had a long day at work.
Is your question, how can you tell the difference between the two?

The two are made from different processes. I think the prospecting black sand is more associated with broken down minerals that are usually of hydrothermal origins, while the hawai'ian sands are a result of the breakdown of igneous rocks.

I'll give a better explanation later, haha. I'm a bit distracted at the moment.

Aug 4, 2008
Thanks for all the replies.

Emmauelchavez, I look forward to learning something. :D

To clarify, the question was, is it safe to use prospecting black sand as a substrate.

From the responses so far, the answer is a big NO. But I would love to hear you elaborate.

Thanks!

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Outside of the effects the mineral deposits in the sand, black sand for the most part is volcanic in origin (from what I've read about it) containing high traces of phosphates causing algae problems.