Black Spots...

Jul 12, 2009
I have set up my tank with some live rock, sand etc... Just bought my first coral... Not sure of the exact name but it's a dark green mushroom coral =)...

Anyway, I've noticed that recently black spots are appearing on my tank. Everyone on this website probably knows what this is as I have seen it in many display tanks in shops however, I have not educated myself about this yet....

Is this a bad thing? Is it easy to get rid of? I'm thinking about buying my first fish this weekend for my tank but I don't want too if this will cause it problems.

=)

Jul 12, 2009
I only have a small river reef tank... 94 litres! It's been set up for about 3 weeks, had live rock in it for a week and a half. I have no fish and only one small mushroom coral. I just have the basic filter/water flow it was built with which has two funnels that pumps water... It says my tank gets turned around 10 times an hour. I have 6 + half kilo's of live rock. I've scrubbed them off now but they were more dark brown than dark green. I'm slightly new to the whole Marine set up also so this is pretty much all the information I can give provide...

Hope it helps =)

Feb 25, 2008
Savage, MN
I hope you cycled your tank prior to putting the coral in. Also I think you put your coral in way to early. You should have waited until your tank has been established for a while. Saltwater requires much more work, time, money, and patience than freshwater so you need to do lots of research and don't just go jumping right into it. That's just an easy way to get turned off by the hobby.

Jul 12, 2009
The tank had been cycling for 3 weeks and I had my water tested 3 times in 3 different places prior to adding in anything. All the times I had my water tested they said all the levels where perfect. Ive done my research and been reading this forum enough to realise I have to cycle a tank prior to adding anything.

All I would like to know is what the black spots in the tank are.... As this is what the thread title states?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
If they're dark brown (not black), and slightly slimy, then it's likely diatoms. They're so common in newly cycled tanks that it can be considered normal. It will go away on its own, and it's best not to scrub the rocks.

When your tank is ready, add a few snails to help with cleaning off the diatoms.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
what did you use to initiate your nitrogen cycle? Was the live rock cured or uncured? These questions will help us determine how long before you add any fish and the method of adding them. Do you have specific fish in mind?

Jul 12, 2009
It was cured live rock and I have gone to my fish shop today and they said I should get a clean up crew, so I have bought 4 hermit crabs and 3 snails.

This should do the job for a month or two before I put my fish in =)

What you think?