Black Worms

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
I've just noticed tons and tons of small black worms in my tank. No idea what they are or if they are harmful? Sorry don't have a picture they are just to small.

They don't move very fast and the only thing i can relate them to is the size and color of an eyelash. They are very leech like. Anyone know anything about these?

Very broad i know, shot in the dark really....just curious.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
Hey Matt...I looked in three books...nothing looking similar. Structurally, they do not really look like flatworms to me but I suppose anything is possible. Personally, I wouldn't worry about them; there is likely nothing you could do to actually get rid of them anyway given their size and numbers. The population will probably die back given time (either due to predation or the population simply outgrowing the carrying capacity of your tank). Sorry I couldn't find more.

- Kevin

Sep 12, 2006
Algonquin, IL
ur probably ok but the first thing i thought when i saw them was nematode. there are many kinds and some can be parasitic. but then again, they don't get bigger than 5 mm. i'd keep an eye on everyone in the tank. maybe some type of fish would find them tasty?