blackskirt tetras?

zoo minsi

Large Fish
Jan 8, 2005
michigan
Visit site
has anyoe ever breed blackskirt tetras b4 i have 5 of them im my tabk and the biggest one looks swollen and has for about a week now, do you think the fish may be pregnant? she looks healthy and has been eating so i dont think shes sick but compared to the others her belly is large?

Grymatta

Large Fish
May 16, 2005
not sure. I was wondering the same about my neon tetras though. I have 6 of them for almost a year now and I never see any eggs or little babies swimming around. I'm sure there are females in the mix...what gives?

Oct 31, 2004
Monterey Park CA
Visit site
Graymatta: neons breed quite readily its just the eggs must be kept in the dark as well as the fry, if you have other fish they will eat eggs/fry, the neons will eat their own eggs/fry
zoo minsi: Black skirts lay eggs, same with the neons except minus the darkness. Their fry are raised like normal egg laying fry, infurosia, bbs, crushed flake food, etc. Black skirt females are usually bigger than males and yes their stomachs always look as if they are gravid. Your fish isn't sick. Oh and LUCKY!!! you can keep ferrets T -T. They're illegal in CA