Blenny being strange

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Ick problems need help

My lawnmower blenny is doing something strange. He is a rubbing the side of his body in the sand. He darts in the sand every so often. What could this be? He doesn't rub against any rocks just the sand.

Last edited:

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Anything I can do? My skunk shrimp has been picking at him. Could he be picking them off? Could this indeed be ick? How smaller are thse little dots? If I do have ick what can I do? I have a 10 gallon tank right now with a filter and heater.

I have: 2 Red Firefish, Blenny, Coral Beauty, 2 True Percs, Yellow Watchman Goby, Skunk Shrimp, Fire Shrimp, Emerld Crab, Sand Sifting Star, Assorted Hermits, and Snails. Would these all fit in the 10 for 4 to 8 weeks? Does ick affect shrimp or other inverts?

I'm going to check my tank on my lunch break. I now think I have ick and I'm not happy about it. Hopefully the 10g will suffice. I did read on wetwebmedia that I don't have to QT my inverts. That will at least help a little bit.

Last edited:

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Ick problems need help

Ok, I went home and checked. I cannot see white dots on my blenny because it's impossible with his colors. My coral beauty might have ick, but I can't really tell. The purple part of his head has really really really really small dots actually they look like flakes or dandruff. I thought it was just dust or something. Is that ick? All my other fish are completely fine. I can't tell if the coral beauty is breathing heavy or not. what is considered heavy. I think he was about once a second or so. The blenny is about the same.

What medicine could I use if it's not ick but a difference parasite? Or is it most likely ick? Are the white dots flat or rounded on the fish? Will a copper med cure all parasites? Will formalin 3 do the trick?

If my other fish are healthy will they be affected? I tried as best as I could and I cannot see any ick on my blenny but he still tries to itch his sides in the sand.

Last edited: