Blood fins are spawning

Oct 22, 2002
My blood fin tetras where chasing each other around the tank this morning when suddenly I heard this thrashing in the water. I looked over and say a flurry of activities. I had just fed the tank their morning breakfast when I saw the female panting. All the other fish were hovering around where she was. Then I saw her again race around the tank
closely followed by the males. At the surface she dropped a few eggs and as soon as they hit the water, everyone in the tank gobbled them up.

Is there a specific tank size I should place the breeding bloodfins into? Details on raising egg layers? What should I look for? This came as a complete surprise. I've seen the bloodfins race around the tank, but to actually see them drop eggs is something else. Is there a way to prevent the adults from eating the eggs as soon as they're dropped? Placing the female in a breeding cage usually isn't suggested from what I've heard. She usually won't drop any eggs when she's cooped up.

Any suggestions on breeding egg layers?

D

discusaquarium

im not positive, but try putting the female and either one or two of the males in a separate breeding tank. if they continue to lay, make sure that there is some thing for the eggs to nestle down into so they have a chance to develop. once there are known eggs in the tank, you could remove the parents as they arent needed any more and let the fry grow out safely in the breeding tank. when big enough you could introduce them back into the larger tank.

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
Yes that is what I say too. Buy a small tank about 10 gallons and let the female deposit the eggs and then let the males fertilize them and then remove the adults as they arn't needed anymore. Then when the fry hatch feed them some liquid fry formula. HTH ;D

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
?????????????????????

D

discusaquarium

no problem - what ever happened? did they hatch out? or are you planning to breed them in the future? i would like to know  ;D 8)

Oct 22, 2002
They're racing around the tank playing "if you want me, you have to catch me" Sounds like someone I know....

They're dropping eggs at least two - three times weekly. The lfs can't believe it!

I'm going to leave them alone for a while yet. I'm working on my new tank and want to get that up and running. I'll look at my older 10 gal and see about getting that setup as well.

Will keep you posted. :)