blue fish

Sep 12, 2006
Algonquin, IL
so i figure i will get one more fish in my tank, and seeing that blue is my favorite color, i would like to get a blue fish. i've got a few in mind, and i was wondering if anyone has kept them or has any advice on them. and no, i don't want a chromis, in fact, no damsels at all.

Blue Bar Pseudochromis - Pseudochromis cyanotaenia

Springeri Pseudochromis - Pseudochromis springeri

Flavivertex Pseudochromis - Pseudochromis flavivertex

Bluestripe Neon Goby - Gobiosoma oceanops

Blue Assessor - Assessor Macneilli

some sites say that pseudochromis will beat the crap out of my firefish, but others say that they will be fine. other than that, i think any of these fish would do ok in my tank. any that stand out among the others?

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
what about a pygmy angel. I have one in my 29 and he is the most active fish with vibrant blue and a bit of yellow on him....he is a model citizen and doesn't eat any corals etc........bit of a boss but not too bad.....

Sep 12, 2006
Algonquin, IL
well i already have a multi-barred angel, but they aren't the same genus, so maybe i could do that? i just know keeping dwarf angels together is a bad idea, but maybe not in this case. maybe. lol. anyone else know anything of my other picks?

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
You'd be fine with a blue neon goby (or two). They are really tiny fish, neat little guys. And since most are tank bred they're already used to being in a tank and eating whatever. Great little fish, I highly recommend them.

Dadstank

Large Fish
Nov 4, 2006
Minnesota
Just a warning about psuedochromis.... some species will eat shrimp.... I have the purple dottyback and he is a mean little turd... I keep him in the refugium away from my peppermint shrimp:)

I like CAPSLOCK's suggestion of the blue-neon gobies

Sep 12, 2006
Algonquin, IL
i've heard that too, dadstank, thanks for pointing that out. seeing that i just got 2 peppermints, i should probably make a choice with them in mind. i wonder if all pseudochromis are shrimp eaters, or just certain ones.

i do like the idea of a pair of neon gobies. the thing is, i once had a clown goby that was lazy and an extreme disappointment. anyone know if neon gobies are more active than clown gobies?

also, anyone know how blue assessors do in tanks? its my number one choice right now, but i dont know much about it.

Last edited:

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Neon gobies aren't sedentary like most gobies. They sit still overnight but that's about it. Otherwise, they're swimming around in the water column and only stop and rest for a minute or so at a time. Mine comes up and sits on my finger to nibble chunks of frozen food off...

TheFool

Large Fish
Apr 19, 2006
The assessors would be a good pick. I don't much like neon gobies as they're so small, but I think they would be good too. The P. flavirtex will be mean, and the blue bar pseudo MIGHt be, I have a pair coccinicauda and they are quite mean, and meant to be very similar.
Your only problem might be if you get any of these fish the 6line might beat them up.