blue gourami very light in color....

Aug 5, 2004
houston, texas
Visit site
and staying at bottom of tank in one spot. Occasionally coming to surface for air and then returns to same spot at bottom of tank as if it is protecting the spot. I am not sure if the fish spawned or is sick. No signs of illness though. Do gourami's lay eggs at bottom of tank or do they bubble nest?

Aug 5, 2004
houston, texas
Visit site
I just had the water tested and all is perfect. Had tank set up for about 3 months and had the Blue for about 2 months. The abdomen is bigger than the other Blue that I have. The scales look fine. The other Blue Gourami has been a very dark blue lately and chases the lighter one when it surfaces.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I would say that you're experiencing aggression from the other gourami. They really don't like other blue gouramis in the same tank, and will chase the other constantly, often until it dies. We had four blues, until the dominant one killed the others, one by one. :( If possible, you should separate them. If you can't take one back to the store, maybe get a divider or another tank.

I guess it's possible the one has some kind of disease, but I think it's more likely the other one hates it.