Blue hermits leaving shells

Venetia

Small Fish
Nov 5, 2006
Indy
Hi all, I have a new saltwater tank. It's on it's 6th week cycling. The tank was started with established reef sand and several gallons of water fr a 220 reef tank. Everything has done well till last night. For some reason 5 of my 8 little blue hermit crabs (baha) have left their shells. They are all in the same area and are crawling around disorganized. Has anyone heard of this happening? Is there anything I can do? Please help! Water tested fine.

Venetia

Small Fish
Nov 5, 2006
Indy
I have a bunch of shell's in there, they are ignoring them. They have been out of their shells since last night. I'm gong to take my water to have it test, I just use the strips.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
i wouldnt think there all looking for new shells at the same exact time plus they usually stay in their shell till they find a new one...... test the water again there has to be something wrong

Venetia

Small Fish
Nov 5, 2006
Indy
The nitrite is a little high, but shouldn't cause this. I added a few more shells and one has already moved in. I did a water change yesterday, but nothing new there. RO water, perfect selenity. I got a new heater today. I noticed the light wasn't coming on the old one, and the tank temp was 73. Could that be the problem? My little domino damsel is staying pretty close to the new heater, and the snails are hiding in their shells. I'm going to watch closely till it get's up to temp. I'm shooting for 77, any suggestions on that?

Venetia

Small Fish
Nov 5, 2006
Indy
They are still out of their shells! The one that had found a shell in now back out of it. I'm so worried, it's been 36 hours since they left their shells. My snails are still hiding, and my other 3 crabs are staying in their shells too. I don't know what's wrong! Now it looks like my Domino Damsel may be getting ick. He has 2 or 3 whitish spots on him. I don't know what it is for sure yet. I've been planning to add live rock this week, but now I'm thinking I should wait. Has anyone ever had anything like this happen before? HELP!

Venetia

Small Fish
Nov 5, 2006
Indy
Well my Domino just died.

The crushed coral on the bottom has a light brownish tint to it. This is new, and the crabs are still out of their shells. On a couple of the crabs there is a light white fuzz on them. Could this be something?

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
The nitrite is a little high, but shouldn't cause this
I'm confused.......Water tested fine?? If there is nitrite it is not fine. What is the actual reading?
Without live rock, I'm assuming you just added the fish and inverts to saltwater and then the cycle started? The established reef sand would help some.....but the water really doesn't do anything. It's possible everything has ammonia/nitrite poisoning. Have you been doing water changes?
Can you tell us the actual numbers from your water test?

With SW you really should start with the LR first then add fish and inverts after the cycle.

The brown tint to the substrate is most likely diatoms.

Venetia

Small Fish
Nov 5, 2006
Indy
I have been doing regular waterchanges. I just ran a new test and the results are a bit different than yesterday's, the water is testing at... Ph 8.2... Ammonia level 4...Nitrite 2...Nitrate 0...
Originally I was just planning to get a damsel or 2 and some cleaning critters. I wasn't even thinking about getting live rock. It wasn't till the last couple weeks I've decided to get some live rock. Of course I want to get this all resolved before I introduce anything new.

Limi310

Superstar Fish
Nov 30, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Well your tank is cycling....I would say that probably explains the hermit behaviour and the fish death. Those levels are toxic to both fish and inverts.

I don't mean to sound harsh...so don't take it that way...but when you come on asking a question about a tank problem then post "All water levels are fine" that really doesn't help us get to the bottom of a problem. It's best to post the actual readings right from the start because going by those results your water is far from fine.
I would say keep up with the water changes and hope for the best. Maybe look into some SW Bio-Spira.

The problem with adding LR later is that unless you get it fully cured you will cycle again when you put the rock in.

The other option is return everything alive to the store...buy some LR, let your tank cycle with the rock (If it's cured the cycle will be minimal)...THEN add inverts and fish.

Good luck!!

im not sure what you werre going for.... but generally you add LR to a tank to cycle it, not poor defenseless fish. i strongly suggest taking the living critters back to the store, and getting some LR. whoever told you to cycle your tank like this shouldnt be trusted again. i would do research before taking the advice from an LFS employee.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
your crabs will prolly die the only time i seen a hermit outa his shell like this he died shortly after.... its defintly still cycling you can add more rock but i wouldnt add anything else besides that till its done cycling

Sep 26, 2006
New Jersey
sorry to hear your fish died but you shouldn't of added any fish or invert untill it was cycled i'd do some research on starting up a tank if you havn't read any yet the one lfs i like has some good and some bad employees try to find the people there to help you not to sell you stuff. I'd go back and return whatever is still alive and get some LR.

Best of Luck!

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I also agree you should stop and do some reading. No point in spending money on fish and inverts that will die at those levels, which will in turn add to those levels. Are you running a protein skimmer? Get a decent test kit and test every couple days until the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels are 0. Nitrates should be <25 if you can help it <12 would be ideal. I would also suggest getting some live rock. I just got some from an ebay seller selling walt smith rock. It was some pretty good stuff and a much nicer price than at a LFS.