Blue leg vs red leg hermits

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
Are they both reef safe? I've kept the same red leg hermits since I started, but are blue leg any different other than color? Snails seem to die to fast at least the margarita and astrea ones do for me. So I would like to add a few more hermit to help keep the tank clean. I really liked the astrea snails because they really ate the algae that grew on the glass of my fuge. My nassiarius(sp) ones don't see to eat it.

Last edited:

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I have had a few deaths, but not many. I think it was because I didn't have big enough shells for them to go into. Some of them did kill a couple snails for their shells. I'm still debating on what to get. I'm thinking about 25 snails and 25 hermits from ebay.

DclownD

Large Fish
Jul 11, 2006
Syracuse, Ny
i dont see that as a problem.. the blue legs look a little nicer in my opinion... and one of my bl hermits seemed to have grown very fast
the brown ones have grown but not switched shells... and i see like 3 tiny bl's still

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Both blue leg and Scarlet (not the red legs) are reef safe, in fact the Scarlet are the best in my opinion. Nassarius snails don't eat algae, they are detritus eaters and sand stirrers......try Nerite snails for algae and margaritas. Some that you get are temperate climate snails and can't take the heat of a reef tank and don't live long.......try to get them from tropical locations....baha are cold water.....so they like cool water....

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Blue legs are safer, none are perfect. Redlegs are ok, if you get the right species, but you get a lot of omnivorous hitchhikers.

ram man

Superstar Fish
Apr 16, 2005
Arizona
i have some Nassarius snails in my mantis tank, he doesnt eat them, from what i have seen they eat no algae, i have witnessed them being "predators" though, the mantis gave a good wack to the emerald crab, in about 30 seconds all of the Nassarius snails came bursting out of the sand and finished the crab off, started eating the meat out of his wound.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Well if red leg hermits are supposed to eat cyano....it's is news to my red legs as they won't touch it. Nassarius snails are not algae eaters they are detrivores and scavengers, they work by cleaning up any left overs you feed and keeping the sand bed stirred and clean.......

rohnds

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Austin, TX (born NYC)

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
okay I must have fussy hermits. I have never seen them touch it let alone eat any of it. In my honest opinion a person could do very well without any hermits at all and just use snails to clean up. They are better at keeping things clean and don't bother anyone else unlike the murderous hermits.......