blue paint on my tank!!

nealio

Large Fish
Aug 23, 2006
Someone was nice enough to give me a tank they weren't using. I'm pretty stoked, but they painted the back of it with some type of blue paint. It looks like a plastic type of paint, or lacquer paint. It’s coming off in little chunks kinda like a latex mask. I would LOVE to remove it but I don’t want to use any chemicals to pull it off.

Does anyone know of a way to remove paint from the back of a tank without using chemicals or anything that might damage the fish once I put them in there?

OR

Does anyone know of a way to get rid of the chemicals after I use something to take off the paint?

I'm testing it right now to see if it has any leaks so I have a day or two before I do anything to it. I was thinking about heating it up with a heat gun and trying to scrape as much of it as I could, then use a grated sponge to wipe off the rest, but I don't think I will be too successful with out any chemicals.

Please help!

nealio

Large Fish
Aug 23, 2006
I'm gona try a razor blade, I want to take it off because it is going to break a room, so I want to be able to see thru both sides, otherwise, I would keep it on.

thanks for the help!