Blue Paradise Gourami

Sep 16, 2005
both are semi-aggressive species, but the compatibility really depends on the individual fishes.

they might coexist in happy hippie harmony forever.

or they might tear each other to bits.

it's hard to predict, and often better to err on the side of caution.

Sep 10, 2004
Texas
Visit site
Thank you for responding. I know this seems like a silly question but I still feel like a beginner at this hobby (two years). If the two fish were kept in the same tank, what size do you suggest? Does the tank size matter as far as aggressiveness. In other words, the bigger the tank, the less aggressiveness? Appreciate it. :)

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Tank size definitely matters. If the two fish have plenty of room for their own territories it'd be fine to keep them together. Unfortunately angelfish and most gouramis get pretty big so I'd say if you're planning a tank around keeping the two of them I'd say they'd be fine in a 55, maybe smaller like a 46, definitely wouldn't try in anything smaller than a 29. Is the paradise a dwarf gourami? If so, the 29-40 range would most likely be "OK" assuming neither of the ones you get are super aggressive.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
The paradise fish gets up to about 4". They need very well covered tanks since they're very, very good jumpers. I would think they'd be fine, especially if the angel is bigger than the paradise fish. I had a few small angels and a paradise fish together temporarily, and they didn't pay much attention to each other. This was in a 37g, which is just a tall 29, so a 29 should be fine also. In my experience, you have to be much more careful with the small fish you put with the paradise fish than the paradise and angels.