Bored Betta

Sep 30, 2004
Indiana
Visit site
I think my new betta is bored. He just sits on the bottom of the tank and sleeps. He eats and all, and he's actually a little chubby. He's in a 2 gallon bowl with a fake plant. My last betta was agressive and flared at everything and built a bubble nest (just not when I was looking). What do you think?

revfred

Superstar Fish
Jun 21, 2003
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I would cut back on his feeding routine. Every other day or every two days would be plenty. Doing a partial water change at least weekly may help. Bettas are very much individuals ... each have quite a different personality.

Sep 10, 2004
Texas
Visit site
I agree with revfred - feed him a little less. I feed my betta fish once a day except Mondays. Not feeding at least once a week is good for the digestive system. Mine seem happy. I do admit though, my female bettas are more active than any of my male bettas. Good luck and keep us posted.

Emg

Small Fish
Mar 7, 2005
Ct.
If your betta is hanging around on the bottom alot and has a fat stomach...he may be constipated. Feeding less and actually fasting him for a few days will do him some good. I have found that feeding them pieces of shelled cooked green peas are very helpful for cleaning them out when they get backed up like that.

Give that a try...can't hurt...and if that's what it is he should come around after a good couple days fast and some green pea. :)

After that....less feeding will help to keep him from binding up again. *SUNSMILE*

May 9, 2005
West Haven, CT
maybe having a current from a filter might help...or bubbles or something. Mine like to play in the current, then rest aound in the plants. When ever I see it, unless it is playing dead, it swims all around, and is by no means lazy.

Sep 2, 2005
North East Philly
Add more stuff

See if the water is around 75-80 degress, A cold Betta is an inactive Betta, You could add some more silk plants (NO PLASTC ONES) and add a cave or castle something for him to explore. Here is UB's set up maybe it will give you an idea. Once your fish sees that the items are not rivals he should soon be curious and start exploring. UB is always on the move except at night where he rests on top of the skull's head. He prefers that over the soft plants go figure :rolleyes:

Attachments

Sep 30, 2004
Indiana
Visit site
Ok I got a Black Mystery snail (and a gold mystery but it died :(). I did a full clean on my 5 gallon, even though I shouldn't, and put in something other than gravel and put in silk plants. The betta is in with the other fish and seems to get along with them. His old 2 gallon bowl, which is full of algae, has the snail and algae eater for a few days so they can get a big meal before I clean it. I'll post a pic of the tank on the forum for it when I get home this weekend. Thanks for all the advice!