Bored betta

Sep 16, 2005
plants are good. maybe get him a little airstone or something to create a current for him to play in. or give him a piece of driftwood to swim laps around.

if that doesn't work, you can always try coloring books and word finds. and if he's beyond that, you can buy him an erector set. *SUPERSMIL

Nov 27, 2005
I second girlfriend.

And if I may give my opinion to the whole "showing a betta a mirror is cruel" thing. I beg to differ. Once the mirror is taken away the betta feels proud that he has defended his territory. Just don't do it often as prolonged exposure causes stress.

NiJ

New Fish
Apr 5, 2006
Ive actualy been keeping a male & female with a few feeder fish. THen again my setup also allows for multi caves 3 diffrent plants and a newt that comes to play every now and then.

Sep 16, 2005
all good ideas... especially the legos. *SUPERSMIL

in all seriousness... bettas are just lazy fish. they like to find a rock or plant and take a nap on it.

a girlfriend would be a cute idea... but then you should probably get another tank or bowl for the little girl. the boys definitely enjoy the diversion... flaring to show off for her every once in a while, and then giving her that, "hey baby, check out my bubblenest" look.

if you're not ready to do that... make him a pin-up girl...lol. i think sweetvegan is the one who does this... she printed a pic of a female out from the 'net to encourage her little UB to make bubblenests.

pigs_fly

Large Fish
Jan 24, 2006
Texas
kristar1982 said:
And if I may give my opinion to the whole "showing a betta a mirror is cruel" thing. I beg to differ. Once the mirror is taken away the betta feels proud that he has defended his territory. Just don't do it often as prolonged exposure causes stress.

Good call. I should have explained that it is the prolonged stress that is cruel, not just showing the mirror everynow and then :) Its more the leaving the mirror up so they are constatnly slamming their little heads into the sides of the tank:eek: