Bottom feeder, what kind?

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
OK, so as many of you guys know, I just upgraded to a 20g. I now think it's time to get an algae eater. The only problem...
my lfs recently closed down for good (oh dear!!) and so I've been... forced... to go to the big chain store (ugh) anyways, they have very few algae eaters so here's my options (the rest costa ton of $$!)

pleco (common)
otos
SAE

can anyone tell me my best option? I know pleco is not a good idea!!

Sep 27, 2009
i would not get a common pleco. i have one in my forty gallon and he is just about to find a new home. because he is so big. but idk about otos or sae. there are other species of plecos that dont grow as big

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
If you get a REAL SAE you will have a wicked algae eating machine. better than otos, but otos grow slower and dont grow nearly as big as SAE's.

If you have live plants in your tank, do not get a common pleco. It will **** them.

Feb 27, 2009
OK, so as many of you guys know, I just upgraded to a 20g. I now think it's time to get an algae eater. The only problem...
my lfs recently closed down for good (oh dear!!) and so I've been... forced... to go to the big chain store (ugh) anyways, they have very few algae eaters so here's my options (the rest costa ton of $$!)

pleco (common)
otos
SAE

can anyone tell me my best option? I know pleco is not a good idea!!
Common pleco, no way in a 20gallon.

Otos need very very clean water or they will die. They should be kept in groups too. They get 2 inches or so.

A true SAE (hard to know if they have them labeled correctly, I see many mislabeled) would do ok alone. They are more hardy than otos, but get 5-6inches.

Feb 27, 2009
You're welcome. :)

I was at a LFS yesterday and saw three different tanks with CAE in them. One was labeled SAE, one was labeled Otos, and one was labeled CAE.

I pointed it out to the employee cleaning tanks. He said, and I quote: "It don't make any difference, they are the same price."

I tried to explain that it DOES make a difference. A CAE and and Oto are very different. I'd be ticked off if I came home and my 'Oto' that was really a CAE started snacking on my other fish.

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
I had three oto cats in my 18gal that had an algae problem (it was by a window, don't ask) and they did a really good job. They are moving with my nine female bettas into my new 45gal bowfront set up. :-D They're funny to watch, too, 'cuz when you walk up to the tank, it's like every man for himself! They go crazy trying to get away or hide. I always imagined I could hear them screaming "Godzilla! GODZILL!" with really cheesy B-movie Japanese accents. I had a pleco in there for a while before I got the oto cats and that pleco completely fouled my filter (nice Eclipse 1 system) and made me tank FILTHY. Don't know about SAEs. I had a CAE and I really didn't like him. When I sold the 18gal, the CAE went with it.

Oct 14, 2009
Stuart, Florida
oops the title is wrong, I mean ALGAE EATER, not bottom feeder :( oops
Hi so I've heard the otos are great. don't knowfrom experience though. As i have a common pleco as of now because the fs told me he would be a great algea eater. so i got him he's little right now so works well for me at this time but I know the day will come when he will need to leave but until then he's got a home I am going to get some otos though...Good luck

Feb 27, 2009
Beware that otos are known to be fragile when first caught and often die after a few months if they were starved in shipment. If you do get some, make sure they are 'plump' in the belly when you pick them out. They do best in a well-established aquarium, not a newer set up.

Oct 14, 2009
Stuart, Florida
Beware that otos are known to be fragile when first caught and often die after a few months if they were starved in shipment. If you do get some, make sure they are 'plump' in the belly when you pick them out. They do best in a well-established aquarium, not a newer set up.
Oh ok thanks for the information.. what would you reccommend then?

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Hey, I bough 3 albino corys. I also found a new lfs, it's got pretty much EVERYTHING! Anyways, the corys where locally bred, so they where cheap ($2 each!). Anyways I think I'll go with 2 otos... or would 1 chinese hillstream loach be better?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
I'd go with the otos as a loach would be another bottom feeder. I was actually thinkin of getting two otos for my 40 gal, but i dont think they could handle my water quality beings so alkaline, and full of nitrate.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
O wow lol
I was thinking along the lines of a weather loach...
Why would you call that aloach anyway? its a pleco. I'm more familiar with the name of stingray pleco, forgive me for the confusion.

sounds like both seem about the same in terms of alage up-keep and water fragility. i'd go with either one, your choice.