bought the api master kit

Whiskers

Large Fish
Feb 29, 2008
central Michigan USA
i would think you should have a little nitrate. just double check on how to do the tests to make sure you did it right. as long as you did it right then just acclimate fish to water and away you go. check water prams after a day and see where you are at for sure cause things might change a little.

Whiskers

Large Fish
Feb 29, 2008
central Michigan USA
if your ammonia, and nitrite are at 0ppm and nitrate is around 20ppm or less i wouldn't worry about water change. if ammonia or nitrite spike up or if nitrate is up around 40ppm then yes do a 25% water change.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
If all is at zero it is because you are not cycled, draining and refilling your tank would have killed any bacteria in the tank, you may have some in the filter and substrate but it will have to build up to eliminate ammonia and nitrite. You need to monitor those readings everyday and change water as needed. It may take up to week to start seeing the numbers rise. To hit on what whiskers said, follow the instruction booklet to the letter, one skipped step or even not shaking the bottle properly on the nitrate test will cause false readings. Good luck and good to see your on the right track.

Joeyb1731

Large Fish
Jan 20, 2009
Oceanside NY
U shouldn't have broken down ur tank completely. U most likely killed the good bacteria. Save urself some money go get pure ammonia and do afishless cycle. I know it sucks but it's better then wasting money on fish that will die or get sick. But if u can't wait just get 1 or 2 fish

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
Well, joey, he already has the fish, and I don't know what else he could have done but break it down completely to replace all the silicone. I'd have done the same.

Thanatos, look at this as your chance to learn all about cycling a tank. Once those ammonia levels begin to rise, you'll want to check them every day and do the partial water changes to bring it below 1.0, then once it subsides you'll do the same for nitrite. You may think it's taking too long, but you'll hang in there and one week you'll find that both ammonia and nitrite are at 0.

You'd better explain to your family what happens when you add too many fish to an uncycled tank so they'll quit throwing their money away buying unsuitable fish as 'gifts' for you. Tell bil he can get his money back now on the gar, but can't after it dies from ammonia or nitrite poisoning.

Make a stocking list and post it prominently, with a note that adding fish before you say it is okay is flushing money down the toilet because the tank is unstable right now. At least that's what I would do.

Good luck with the family, and with the cycling. You have tools and knowledge at your disposal now. :)

bmoraski

Large Fish
Mar 9, 2009
Upstate NY
Api test kit

alright so i got home tested the water and the ammonia is at 1, i am doing a water change right now, the nitrates and trites are still at zero though
you did the right thing getting a good test kit
from what ive been reading it sounds like you havent fully cycled
i did the same thing ( or should say my son did) wont bore you with the details
but i ended up ( now i know ) cycling with fish.
PAIN IN THE BUT
but it will get better ! LOL
do the water change with Ammonia at 1.0
im shure after being on this forum for a short time you will be good to go
lots of good info here
i wish i found this site 2 years ago !!!
its tough when all you do is work to provide for family !
later and good luck dude !
Bryan..................