Bow-Front vs. Flat Fronts

dogdoc

Large Fish
Sep 6, 2005
Cost!!!!!!!!!!

I kinda like how the bigger bows look, but I can get a 75g rectangle for the cost of a 46g bow.

May also have some trouble with accessories like lighting or hoods and canopies. Makes some DIY projects a lot tougher.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Why dont you go look at some at a local store? I LOVE my 46 bowfront....definitely my prettiest tank. I dont think it distorts the view, if anything it makes the tank look bigger than it is. It WAS more expensive than a rectangle tank, but it was definitely worth it. The only thing I can think of as somewhat of a negative for the size is like dogdoc said, if you're big on DIY lighting and projects then it can present a challenge. If you just stick with stock lighting and hoods (like me) then no worries.

We don't have many lfs' here, and the ones we do have aren't big. The only lfs that we have that has bowfronts in store, doesn't have them filled with water. So its hard to imagine what the distortion, if there was any, would look like.

The tank will be my dads and he is a beginner, so hes a long way off wanting DIY stuff, so distortion is the only proplem he is really worried about.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
If thats the only issue and he's willing to pony up the dough, I wouldn't dissuade him and say to get a normal tank. Here's a picture of mine, sorry...my camera sucks, but I think you can tell that there's not much. http://www.geocities.com/silverbelle94/46g.html Radamsk1 has the same 46 bowfront and he has some great pictures, I think there's a link in his signature. I think maybe one of the reasons I like it is because it reminds me of being at a commercial aquarium where they have curved glass...

dogdoc

Large Fish
Sep 6, 2005
I think that the larger the bowfront tank, the less distortion is present. Seems like the bigger bows have less dramatic radius on the front, so distortion is less. On my 16 bow, I can definitely see some distortion, especially when close to the corners.

Gunner

Small Fish
Oct 5, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Visit site
dogdoc said:
I think that the larger the bow front tank, the less distortion is present. Seems like the bigger bows have less dramatic radius on the front, so distortion is less. On my 16 bow, I can definitely see some distortion, especially when close to the corners.
I agree with dogdoc. My kids each have a 5gal betta tank. One is bow front and one is flat. I much prefer the flat front. The bow front is quite distorted. I will say that the larger bow front tanks look better than the flat ones though. IMHO.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
The wave tanks are very cool. I have 2 46 bows and love them -- I'll try to get a picture or two up for you to see. I agree that the larger tanks really look nice and have far less distortion than the smaller bows. Aesthetically, the bows have a bit more punch, imo. In some cases, the flat fronts fit a scheme better but the bows just pop. The 46s are essentially a pretty 50.