Brain coral

Mar 18, 2006
clay twp
HI I just purchased a brain coral and need some advice on how to take care of it. Brain Worm Platygyra Coral is the name of it I think any help would be appreciated.

UP UP AND GUPPY

Superstar Fish
Mar 14, 2006
Sacramento, California
www.myspace.com
The Platygyra Brain Worm Coral is a large polyp stony (LPS) coral and is also referred to as Brain, Maze, Closed Brain, or Bowl Coral. Its genus name, Platygyra, was derived from the Greek words platys (flat) and gyros (wide circle), which describes the maze-like channels in its calcareous skeleton. The Brain Worm Coral colonies are usually massive and either dome-shaped or flattened, with various color shades of green, brown, or gray and contrasting valleys which may be fluorescent under actinic lighting.
It is a semi-aggressive coral that extends sweeper tentacles at night and should be provided with adequate spacing between itself and other corals in the aquarium. The Platygyra Brain Worm Coral is relatively hardy, easy to maintain in the reef aquarium, and makes an excellent candidate for the beginner reef aquarist. It requires moderate lighting combined with moderate water movement. For continued good health, it will also require the addition of calcium, strontium, and other trace elements to the water. It produces a large amount of mucus.

It will benefit from additional food in the form of micro-plankton or brine shrimp fed in the evening while its tentacles are visible.

Hoped this helped. I got the info off of liveaquaria that I used for a scholl essay on corals.

:rolleyes: i don't want anyone to think that i am weird but i am 13 like some of you know, and i was watching Spongebob on t.v. and his friend Patrick fell off a cliff and lost the upper part of his head so Spongebob accidently gave him a Brain coral and Patrick became smart. It is really funny. And i don't care if you post a thread on here callingme a dork or something like that.:rolleyes: