Brand new set-up questions.

Feb 8, 2009
I just set up my new 50 long. Gravel, plants, driftwood, filters, heater, treated water. Left the heater on at 81f overnight as I was planning on buying some ammonia today and begin to cycle. Two challenges presented themselves today. Overnight one of the pieces of wood out gassed (truly farted) into my tank leaving it very very cloudy. The wood is from Zoo Med (I believe) so I am not worried about toxicity, but just think it sucks. I know filtering like crazy and rinsing the floss will get rid of it, but will the products sold at the LFS to clear the water screw up my cycle? Also, where the heck can I find pure ammonia? I've checked the big box stores, hardware stores, grocery stores, all to no avail.

Thanks again in advanced...

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
You might decide to wait a bit to allow the driftwood to settle in. You mentioned live plants. They can help to alleviate the symptoms of a cycle by absorbing ammonia and nitrite--if you have enough. It takes about a week before they will really kick in. Just wait a bit then test for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate and see where you're at. You may be able to introduce a few fish at this time to help produce ammonia naturally. If all is going well and the plants are doing their job, the plants will pick up the slack and keep conditions from becoming toxic. Then every two weeks you can add more fish, so on and so forth. By that time, you will have cycled the tank.

Feb 8, 2009
Okay, I have an updated and need a bit of help. Avalon, unfortunately the plants are synth., not live. I went the "easy" rout for upkeep, but you provided me with valuable information for my next set-up. Let me bring you all up to date so you have the information needed to hopefully answer my question.

I decided to perform a fish-in cycle with some substrate from my established 10 gal. Two days after I set up the tank the water did clear up a bit and I added the substrate and two of my danios. 24 hours later Ammonia was up to 1 ppm and no sign of Nitrites. I decided to leave it for one more day. Next day, Ammonia over 2 ppm and still no sign of Nitrites. I immediately did a 20% change, which of course stirred the tank up a bit (mind you it's still not 100% clear, yet a bit better than originally). Next day same thing. Another water change. Next day, Ammonia past 4 ppm, no Nitrites. The fish were immediately moved back to the 10 gal. This whole time since I've been cleaning the tank, it has not really cleared up that much. I did not do a water change this time as I figured I would now let the tank cycle fishless (I hope). Today I was checking the levels in the tank, Ammonia now down to 2 ppm and Nitrites up to 5 ppm, no Nitrates. Obviously the substrate did not work. I know I need to add some Ammonia now (still haven't found it in stores), but here is my question. The piece of driftwood I originally had a problem with has developed a white cloudy layer around it. I'm sure this is what is clouding my tank. I know that the danios would nip at this wood, but don't know if they were actually eating this growth. I'm fearing the worse in that it's a fungus of some kind. What do you believe it is, and what should I know do? Since the tank is somewhat newly set up, and I don't have much problem tarring it down and setting it back up if that is truly beneficial (as little problem as I can have transferring 100 gallons of water), but would really rather and easier solution. Your thoughts?

Thanks as always.

vahluree

Medium Fish
Jan 18, 2009
Euless, TX
Is it possible that the cloudy film on the driftwood is the same sediment that is clouding the water? Could it just have settled on the driftwood? This is my guess, but I still don't know a lot, so I could be way off here. I'm interested to hear other opinions.

Feb 8, 2009
vahluree - vice versa. i removed the wood from the tank yesterday and am soaking it in treated water in my 5 gal bucket. the tank is already much clearer. i also did a bit more research online and it seems as if it is indeed fungus, but not harmful at all. the danios were most likely eating it, as i also read people observing their fish eating it when they had the same problem. either way, they all said it will go away in a week or two. i'm just going to let it soak (don't want to get a pot dirty by boiling it) for that time, let it die, and put the piece back in the tank.

as for the levels, i'm using fish food in a coffee filter to seed amonia. amonia levels are still around 2 ppm, nitrites now over 5 ppm, and nitrates are a bit under 20 ppm, which leads to my next question.....(they are never ending. i'm sure you all understand)....

the test kit i got has a scale in multiples of 20 ppm basically (0, 20, 40, 80, 160, 200). again, i've researched the net and am i correct by saying that ideally under 20 is good, under 40 is acceptable, over 40 is bad?

thanks thanks thanks

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
Yeah under 40 is fine, under 20 is best for nitrate. Nitrite and ammonia should be under 1 when fish are in. You can find pure ammonia at some hardware stores. I got mine at ACE but I don't know if you have one of those around. I would have boiled the wood but I guess if it dies before the fish go in then nothing can hurt them.

Can you just rephrase any other questions you have.

Feb 8, 2009
No more questions. I'm all set. :D I actually found a great driftwood post under the sticky in the FreshWater General Forum. Good info in there. And the cycle of my tank is now progressing much better.