Brand new tank questions...

Codyjp

New Fish
May 16, 2007
So, I just got a Aquapod 24g and I have just started getting it set up. 4 days ago i put live rock in 1/2 cured 1/2 not cured (around 13lbs total) and live sand. I have been adding the stability from seachem as directed on the bottle.

Yesterday (day 3) I put in 3 red legged hermit crabs as recomended by my fish store.

as for the H20 test go all is good except for a nitrite level in the caution caution range and a PH of 7.4

Now as of the last 1 hour i had about a bazillion little bitty red bugs swimming around. what the heck are these?

What do i need to do next? wait? are the red bugs a problem?

Attachments

May 6, 2007
Oceanside, Ca
You should have added a cocktail shrimp from your grocer and let your tank cycle before adding any livestock. Cycle can take several weeks to comlete and let levels of nitrate, nitrite and amonia return to zero.

Bugs as you call them could be copepods, isopods or amphipods.
I have some pics that I'll try to post in a few minutes.

Last edited:

shift_9k

Large Fish
Jul 5, 2005
Chicago
www.duderick.com
I think so man, i get those all the time. Like clear, translucent shells. Anyways Cody good luck on the tank. Take it slow and you'll be good. Its worth the wait to do it right. God only knows how many mistakes i've made. I have a 24g Aquapod also, did you go with the MH's or the PC?

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
amphipods and copepods are good. You really don't want to kill them off with high cycle parameters. The hermits may be toast......don't cycle with a shrimp if you added uncured rock. The rock will create it's own cycle as stuff dies off .....

you should read all the stickies at the top of the forum and then get to the library and get a couple of books such as "The New Marine Aquarium" by Paletta and the "Concientious Marine Aquariust" by Robert Fenner, both are excellent. good luck and welcome to mft

May 6, 2007
Oceanside, Ca
This is just my opinion.
He only has a 6# chunk of uncured rock. This may cause a spike without actually cycling. When livestock is introduced and bioload increases the tank may cycle again. Using a shrimp now will ensure a hard cycle.

Codyjp

New Fish
May 16, 2007
I was thinking of picking up maybe 10 more pounds of rock... I was just being lazy and waiting for the fellas at the store to clean them. I checked the H20 today. I have:
nitrate of 20
nitrite .5
PH about 8.2

and one of the crabs ate one of my little clams that came on the live rock. Those jerks. :)

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
definitly try to avoid putting any live stock in the tank durring the cycle... the tank will fully cycle on its own just by adding live rock ;) btw nows the time to add as much live rock as you can to avoid future spikes

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
By placing as much rock as you can now you will build up the beneficial bacteria, then when and I repeat WHEN you are ready to start adding any livestock you must do it gradually so you don't create a mini cycle by increasing the bioload to more than the rock can adjust to. The shrimp cycle works well as does adding straight ammonia. Though I am a firm believer in using the rock to cycle with. Just keep an eye on your parameters....

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
bad but not bad in a really bad way......doesn't make sense I know. What is meant is that the cycle is in full swing.....which is good though the levels are bad for living things.....the cycle causes die off on its own due to the high ammonia and nitrite levels. These will all come out to zeros and you will be good to go.

Codyjp

New Fish
May 16, 2007
yup, it seems the nitrite levels are prettly close to 10 now on my test so it must be going for it. I also put another 7lbs of rock in it and it looks full! How long should I expect the nitrite to be high before it drops to a safer level?