Brand spankin' new 75G

LMarts

Large Fish
Feb 24, 2008
Georgia
Hey guys, I just set up the 75G...yeah! Eco-complete substrate, driftwood, 3 huge swords with lots of babies, 4 crinum, 1 lacey Java Fern. I would have gotten more plants now, but I ran out of money :( . I have a HOB filter on there now until my Rena XP4 comes in...dang people didn't ship it on time:mad: Anyway, I don't have any ammonia to add to the tank yet, so I am thinking that I should wait to add the Bio-spira until I do. Is this correct or not? I still don't know what kind of fish I want to add yet, so I am not rushing to cycle and add fish..this will probably change when I figure out what I want in there. So I guess in addition to the Bio-spira question, I could use some ideas on how to stock the tank. I am thinking about Angels, but know nothing about them...still have to research. What should I stock with...I am just clueless right now.

Nov 27, 2004
New Orleans
Visit site
you have a lot of options with a 75g. go to the stores and see what catches your eye. write it down, then do some research or post here. my understanding with biospira is that you add it, and in 24 hours add fish. i don't think there needs to be a source of ammonia for it to work, but i have no experience with it, i always went with a fishless cycle. do you have the biospira already? if so, was it/is it now refrigerated?

LMarts

Large Fish
Feb 24, 2008
Georgia
I do have the Bio-spira already, and yes it is refrigerated. I am under the impression that I would still need to have "food" or ammonia for the bacteria to survive. This could be wrong though, if so, someone please correct me.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Keep the Bio-Spira in the fridge until you're ready to add fish, then add the Bio-Spira and then some fish.

Using Bio-Spira to fishlessly cycle isn't always sucessful.

The angels I've had have been hardy only when I have gotten them at non-chain stores. The ones from chain stores seem to be terrible quality. If you do get angels, drip acclimate them carefully, they're very sensitive to pH/hardness changes.

LMarts

Large Fish
Feb 24, 2008
Georgia
I FINALLY found a LFS that is great, not outrageously expensive, and very helpful. They have (to be a girl for a sec) the cutest, most darling little baby Angels. Not sold on them, but they are so dang adorable. I figured I should save the Bio-spira until I add fish, but wasn't sure if I need to be adding ammonia right away because of the bacteria in the eco-complete.

LMarts

Large Fish
Feb 24, 2008
Georgia
Anyone have advice on upgrading my lighting? I definately need to upgrade sooner rather than later. It is a planted tank, so I need lights good for that, but can't afford to morgage the house on them...ideas?

Kiwi

Small Fish
Apr 2, 2008
NC
As Lotus stated earlier, be careful with the Angels - They are very sensitive to any temperature drops/raises and must be kept in ideal water conditions suited especially for them. I did a TON of research on Angelfish before I even considered purchasing them. If you know what you're doing and have done the research, they are very fun fish to keep and each have their own individual personality.

Jul 9, 2003
Columbia, SC
www.youtube.com
I'm jelous, i want a new big tank.

Not to sure on FW Plant lighting, but i have found it much cheaper in the SW world to go with a retrofit kit that includes (Pendant or fixture with reflector and ballast). Requires some wiring yourself but i know i saved at least $100 per fixture doing it this way. Of course this is assuming the lighting will be going into some sort of canopy and you can mount it somewhere. It also gives you the option to add more light when you want because its not stuck inside 1 fixture.

Sep 11, 2007
www.forrestcook.com
if you need a budget friendly light, but want more output than the hagen (I would recommend it for a planted tank) you can always pick up a refurb from tricitytropicals.com. I've done it in the past and got great quality stuff from them. I only use current brand lights on my tanks.

LMarts

Large Fish
Feb 24, 2008
Georgia
Yes, I am on a budget. I am also completely clueless about lighting. I guess I am looking for someone to take my hand and explain exactly what I need for this tank...names, type, etc...

Sep 11, 2007
www.forrestcook.com
if you are doing live plants you will get more bang for your buck (as well as longer lasting bulbs) if you go T5HO instead of PC/CF bulbs.

this is a refurb of one you linked to. I have the 30" version of this light and have never had an issue. The reflector is just one big flat panel, so you lose some light to restrike.

Dry Goods - Aquarium Lighting - Compact Fluorscent / Halide - Current-USA, inc. - Satellite - Dual Satellite Series Double Lamp with Fan - Dual Satellite 48"

If you're trying to stick in the "current" brand series, here is what I bought... not as budget friendly, but an absolutely fantastic light.

It all really depends on what you want the lights for... illumination? plants? demanding plants with carpets of HC and glosso? Let me know so I can help you out a bit more. I did a lot of research looking for mine.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I have a Catalina fixture (a 20" one) and it has been fine for a couple of years. The one you linked to comes with saltwater bulbs, and it would be expensive to change them out.

I ordered my Catalina from here: Power Compact 48" 4 x 65 Watts because they let you choose the bulbs you want.

A couple of the ones you linked to do come with saltwater bulbs, and it does get pretty expensive to change them out, so bear that in mind.

I have a bunch of Coralife PC fixtures, and I've always been really happy with them.

If you're on a budget, you can check out the Reef Central selling forums. There are often people selling used fixtures there at reasonable prices when they're upgrading lights. You'll still need to change out the bulbs, but you could get lucky with a cheaper fixture.