Brand spanking new

Apr 12, 2006
Hello, my neighbor has just passed his 2 year old fish tank down to me, a 55 gallon. It's my first tank and I know nothing about maintaining fish, except for what I've been reading in the last day or so. He passed down all sorts of equipment and things I dont really need as well. My question is about my set up, I have a BIO-wheel power filter hooked up, a heater, hood with lamps, gravel and decorations, and thats about it. Is there anything else I am missing? Will just the power filter do? This question answered and any other begginer advice would be awesome. Thanks, nice site.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Just to clarify...does it already have fish in it?? Or do you just have all of the equipment?

If it hasn't been setup in awhile (dried out) then I would suggest reading a LOT. The best place to start is the threads that are stickied at the top of the beginner forum...there is one with pointers on setting up a new tank that is excellent.

If you have fish...then let us know what you have.

GREAT score :) That is a nice size tank to work with!

What is the size or rating on the power filter? Personally I'm a big fan of canister filters on larger tanks, but many people use power filters on them, or power filters in combination with a canister filter.

How big is the heater? We can suggest a number of watts that you should have to heat your tank (2-5 watts per gallon is ideal)...but I'm not remembering if the wattage is written on the heater...it should be I'd think??

You'll need to get your tank cycling...so read up on that. You'll need some dechlorinator (water conditioner like Prime or stress coat) and a gravel vacuum would be nice, or a python...so that you can do water changes.

Good luck and welcome to MFT (and the hobby!)

Apr 12, 2006
Hey, no fish in it yet. I have a penguin 330, it has the two bio-wheels. Is that sufficent? The heater is good to go I think, the box says up to 60 gals. Already dechlorinated the water as well. Another question, when I do start to cycle I was going to use zebra danios, how many should I use?

Feb 18, 2006
WA state
Hi Harry, the only thing I'd suggest in terms of equipment is a thermometer...since it's always possible to have a heater that doesn't work correctly. You'll want to be able to check and make sure the water in the tank is at the temperature you've set on the heater. Personally, I like to move the thermometer to different parts of the tank once in a while to make sure the heat is evenly distributed throughout the tank too.

Zebra danios are great for cycling. They are a schooling fish, so it's best to get at least 6. There's also a long-finned variety that is actually quite attractive...usually cost about a buck more per fish.

Good luck!

Toddlee

Medium Fish
Feb 27, 2006
Swannanoa NC
I would also add a test kit for Ammonia, NitrIte, NitrAte and PH. You can use it to follow the cycle and do water changes as needed. Good luck on the new tank. I would love to have a 55Gal!!!!

Apr 12, 2006
brand spanking new again

OK, brand new here, getting everything set up and about to cycle my tank with fish. I have no idea how often I should feed the fish. And do I feed the same way when I am in the cycling phase?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
There are many different color varieties of danios...the 'original' zebra danio I've found to be the hardiest...but not by a huge amount. Look for a kind that strikes your fancy...my favorite are the longfin blue zebras :) (they're not bright blue...just have a blue/purple tint to them) I think for a 55 I would use about 10-15 danios. They're a great fish and if I were to cycle with them I'd want to keep them in the tank, but if you aren't sure about your final stocking plan I think I'd make sure that the lfs will agree to take them back after your tank cycles, or at least give you a little bit of store credit or be able to trade you some different fish. Remember that your lfs may not agree or may tell you different things than you read on here :) Just keep that in mind...and know that the store is not always right (usually they're not actually )

I merged your threads...usually its best to keep your conversation in one thread unless the topic changes. That way everyone can read the history on your issue in one spot, before responding.

In answer to your question...generally you want to feed the fish once a day as much as they'll eat in a few minutes. Did you go with the danios? They are not picky eaters in the least. Most people usually feed their fish a good staple flake food most days a week and then throw in some other foods (like frozen bloodworms or brine shrimp) to round out their diet.

While you're cycling you should probably feed as usual. If you start having issues with big ammonia or nitrite spikes you can cut back on the food a bit, but its not a must. The biggest thing while cycling is that you dont OVER feed and that you keep up with water changes.

Last edited: