breathing hard

TexAg08

Large Fish
Dec 12, 2006
my gourami is breathing really hard, and not eating. he is a new fish, but at least i dont think he should be breathing this hard. and ideas?

TexAg08

Large Fish
Dec 12, 2006
water is all good, kinda high ph but im working to lower it with bottled water starting today (the store has the same water i did). i also went back to the fish store today and there were some others doing it, but he wasnt when i got him. other than that tho he looks really healthy, not clamping his fins and pretty good color. and there isnt any aggression from him or the female bettas, but the girls are looking really unhealthy now, and one died......there are the tetras in there tho and they are doing really well and not showing signs of sickness, as well as the oto and shrimp.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
By all good, you mean zero ammonia, zero nitrite, and nitrates below twenty, right?

You ph isn't bouncing up and down? cuz that would be bad.

Look closely for signs of external parasites, especially on the gills.

Actually, if you went back to the lfs and other fish there were doing it, your fish may have been sick but not yet showing symptoms. I'd try to get my money back if there are fish with the same symptoms there. And, I know that doesn't help your other fish, but it sounds like you are at the point of diagnosis now, as long as your water chemistry is good.

Since you already have sick fish, are you sure now is the time to start monkeying around with the ph? Unless you are sure you can stabilize it, the up and down will stress them bigtime. Just something to mull over, that's all.

TexAg08

Large Fish
Dec 12, 2006
yes, nitrite, ammonia, and nitrates are all fine, and the ph is 7.8. another, the last, female betta died today, and couldnt see anything wrong with her. i was watching the gourami today, and he looks fatter in the belly, but isnt eating; however he "coughed" up some white looking stuff that looked like food. if it was food i dont know where he got it because i watch for a good 10 min when i feed them, so the only other thing i can think of him possibly eating are the shedded exoskeleton of the ghost shrimp, and i dont know why hed do that. this is crazy, and i lost my reciept for him so i dont know what i can really do about it. HELP!!!!

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
I wouldn't mess around with the PH. That will stress out the fish. Just leave it wherever it is and make sure it is stable at all times. Can you give actual readings for your tank?

TexAg08

Large Fish
Dec 12, 2006
nitrite-0
amm-0.25 ppm
nitrate-5ppm
pH-7.6

i know the ammonia isnt supposed to be there, so what would cause this? should i do a water change to try and lower it or what?