Breeder box vs. net

Helena21

Superstar Fish
Oct 7, 2005
Essex, England
Well i used to use nets all the time but i have recently started using the breeder boxes and i like them because you can see inside, but with the nets it a little bit difficult.
I think the fry are more safer in the nets because in the boxes they can go through the little slits in the side.
So if you are gonna put small fry in them like guppies, platies etc, your best bet would be with a net

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Either way I agree with Seleya, trapping the mom puts undue stress on her. Once you just have fry in the contraption...they'd really be better off in a tank of their own because they really do best with completely different feeding and water conditions than adult fish. Plus, in a net you don't have the added safety of seperating the mom from the baby fish until you take her out...and in a box you might have issues with adequete water flow depending on the design. Tank maintenance/water changes are difficult to take care of with either contraption taking up space in your tank. All around its best to have a seperate tank for fry.