Breeding, and Mollies

How do I really tell if they are male and female, I want to have them breed so I can sell the babies, but I don't know if I have any females, they all look like males to me. Could someone help me out with this, because I've looked at pictures and I'm a bit confused...

Jun 18, 2009
Austin,TX
the anal fin, the one on the bottom of fish near the back, look for either a gonopodium (fishy penis) or just a normal fin. if you see a gonopodium its a male if not, its a female. now this is only on live bearers(mollies,guppies,platies Etc.)

Jun 18, 2009
Austin,TX
if they are all in fact males i would suggest taking back 3 of them and getting 3 females, molly males love a harem of females to keep themselves occupied, buying from most LFS should ensure that your females have likely been knocked up in the tank you bought them from, Also they will have between 50-150 fry for each female so be prepared to deal with all those extra fish.

That's the thing, first of all, I do in fact think they are all male, secondly, only have four of them, thirdly, I only have a thirty gallon tank that is allready occupied by the 4 male mollies, a tiger barb, and a snail, I have a large slat water filter that, if cleaned out proberly, could be used as a hospital/nursing/quarintine tank as it has three seperat areas, and all of the equipment is not attatched, so I could use it like this for the time being, but do I have enough room for this type of stuff?

Jun 18, 2009
Austin,TX
do not mess with that sump(saltwater filter) its not so much a filter as a water tank it might work to hold fry if you do it in only one section of the sump but i would just have your parents get you a smaller tank from walmart or something to house the fry in and save the sump till you start a saltwater tank

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
Just be careful because if livebearers, such as mollies, are bred when they are too young, they can die after childbirth and pass on genetic deformities such as bent spines to their young. I purposely bought a pregnant molly from my local fish store recently. (I didn't know this fact when I got her.) The babies are only a week old and the mother is very ill. I'm looking to see if any of the fish show signs of deformity when they are older. However, this does not mean you should not buy pregnant fish from your LFS, it just means you should be careful and understand the risks.

Since you are new to fish breeding, I suggest purchasing an already pregnant molly from your LFS, so that you can learn what it's like to take care of baby fish. Also, read up on molly fish breeding. You may be surprised to find they can have hundreds of babies.