Breeding Bamboo Shrimp?

Dec 5, 2011
Walla Walla, Washington
I saw some Bamboo Shrimp at Petco, and I have heard of a few people breeding shrimp. I want to breed Bamboo Shrimp, but to make sure I really want to, I need a few questions answered.

1. What size of tank should I have?
2. How many should I start out with in that size of tank??
3. What extra things should I have in the tank? (filter, heater, etc.)
4. About how many babies do they have per batch?
5. Do they breed very fast - how long after pregnancy should they have their babies?
6. Is it very hard to breed Shimp?

And please try not to be to criticizing, I am just wondering if this could be a good experience for me.

I know I have said that I don't have much space in the house for tanks, but it depends on the size of the tank for me to see if I have enough room somewhere.

Dec 14, 2011
WI
I bought a bamboo shrimp from Petco a couple of weeks ago, and it's fantastic. It molted on Sunday, which was pretty damn cool. The only thing I read to do for them is feed them powdered algae, as they are filter feeders. They pick at the substrate when they're starving, which is what they do at the store. I couldn't find any powdered algae, so I just crushed up algae pellets, which seemed to do the trick, since it now chills out on my plants for days at a time.

I really hope someone who knows more about them comments on this thread. I would like to breed them as well at some point, but I don't even know how to tell the sexes apart.

Dec 5, 2011
Walla Walla, Washington
Okay, I heard that bamboo shrimp are hard to breed. Which breed of shrimp should I breed (if I can ever convince my mom to let me get another tank)? I have heard of several people breeding cherry shrimp, but I don't know of any place near here that sells those. I do have a City Zoo pet center near here. I know they have a large fish section, so I will see if they have any shrimp.

Which breed of shrimp would you suggest for me to breed?